Does your ID say "Crew" on it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OneBadLT123

Just wondering because this is the first time I am seeing this. (I am still relatively new to the business). At XJ our badges just had HDQ on it for headquarters but here at the my new gig we have "CREW" on it with "Dispatcher" in very small fine print underneath. I was told we did this for TSA requirements? But nothing more than that.

Its come in handy when having to JS though since nobody questioned who or what a Dx'er is. They see 'CREW" and my life is easier... go figure.:(

Last edited:
I've been actively employed as a Dispatcher or Flight Follower for the last 12 years, and more jobs than I would like to count. All of these employers only issued crew ids to flight crew or cabin crew (flight attendants), not to dispatchers.

Well, I wish our ID badges at work said at least "dispatcher" on them. It's a pain in the a@@ when certain stations don't even understand the company's own jumpseat policies in that I am allowed to ride up front on company aircraft even though I'm not in CASS. But without CASS, there is no easy way to verify I am a dispatcher for the company, short of them calling the OCC coordinator on duty that night.

I've been actively employed as a Dispatcher or Flight Follower for the last 12 years, and more jobs than I would like to count. All of these employers only issued crew ids to flight crew or cabin crew (flight attendants), not to dispatchers.
Yeah thats what I was thinking but to my surprise everybody here has "CREW" on their badges. I guess per the airline we are considered flight crew. I did want to ask too much into since people may find it weird that I want to know, I was just wondering if I am alone on this one or what...

Well, I wish our ID badges at work said at least "dispatcher" on them. It's a pain in the a@@ when certain stations don't even understand the company's own jumpseat policies in that I am allowed to ride up front on company aircraft even though I'm not in CASS. But without CASS, there is no easy way to verify I am a dispatcher for the company, short of them calling the OCC coordinator on duty that night.
Yeah thats how it was at my old place. Now though, with it saying CREW I no longer have to deal with the BS at outstations now. At least the last few trips have been problem free whereas before it was always something with the gate agents not knowing a damn thing about JS policy.

Our says "dispatcher" in an itty bitty tiny font (read: need magnifying glass).

Hi!

My airline had problems with old badges that said "Pilot", and were not CASS standard. A number of TSA agents asked if we were crew, and at least two said we could not go through security without a boarding pass, because we were not part of the flight crew.

cliff
NBO

I was wondering the same thing ... When I was working as a pilot, I knew that once in HOU that I had a problem with a TSA agent becuase my airline didnt fly out of there, and I was attempting to get through screening to get a jumpseat (even though my airline was IAH based and my ID badge had CREW on it). Is there difficulty with TSA when jumpseating, without the CREW designation on your ID?

I was wondering the same thing ... When I was working as a pilot, I knew that once in HOU that I had a problem with a TSA agent becuase my airline didnt fly out of there, and I was attempting to get through screening to get a jumpseat (even though my airline was IAH based and my ID badge had CREW on it). Is there difficulty with TSA when jumpseating, without the CREW designation on your ID?

From my experience I know in MSP, DTW, MEM I used my XJ ID to get through when I wanted to JS. IN MSP they never asked what I was doing. But that’s where HQ was so I am assuming it's easier.

Now at outstations, I had TSA ask me what I was doing, where I was going. I would just tell them I was JS’ing. Sometimes the agent wouldn’t let me through without a pass, and I would request to talk to the supervisor and they would let me through. But that was on rare occasions. This was when I had my old ID that just said HDQ and - Dispatcher underneath.

So your ID says both CREW and DISPATCHER?
Now at my new place, so far with the "CREW" Id's I have not had a single problem yet. No questions, nothing. I am sure if I showed up in shorts and a t-shirt things would be different. But then I wouldn’t be JS'ing in the first place. haha

But to answer your question, not sure about his, but on ours is says CREW vertically next to your photo, and underneath the photo is says Dispatcher in very small font. I am assuming the real flight crews have Captain, FO, Fa...etc underneath.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back