Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAsRedHeadedbro

Havin' fun at the track!
To all of you SWA experts out there, I applied about 4 1/2 months ago and am wondering if SWA would like updates periodically. If so, how does one go about it?

If this question has been addressed already, please refer me to the string, otherwise I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
:D

If you don't have a type you probably have a few months to go before you get a call. I don't think you need to send updates. If you meet the mins-you meet the mins unless you get a type in that time then I would send an update.

4.5 months

According to Lindsey Lang, non-typed people 4-6 months for an interview from the date SWA recieves the paperwork. Talking to her on the phone last week, there will be NO interviews in April

Hope this helps. Its been almost 5 months for me. Oh well, just keep at it!

When I was in your position last fall, Lindsey told me the only time you need to update is if you get a type or your contact info changes (ie phone # or address).

Once they call you for an interview they will send a whole new set of paperwork on which you can update anything else.

All of you folks who responded to me so quickly are first class people!:D

I don't have a737 type yet, but I'll get one if I need it.

Thanks again.

Not to burst your bubble, but I waited over one year without a type before getting the call. I never updated my records and must admit, I was very surprised when I did get the call. My information is dated since I received the call January 2001. But with the large number of typed applicants out there now, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a call any time soon. If you want to increase your odds of getting the invite, get the type. I realize putting down the big bucks for a peice of paper is tough, but if you really want to work for SWA, it will have to happen someday. Now might be the best time to make that investment!?!
Good Luck!

It used to be SWA did not want updates since everyone who was qualified got called for an interview. Apparently that is no longer true. When the SWA HR people came over to talk to my type rating class, they said that they are now doing what is called a 'competitive screening.' Take that for what you will, but to me it says that they are no longer just calling who had their app in first with 1000 hours of turbine PIC but they are doing some screening before offering an interview. It makes sense in that they must have many, many more apps now and a much higher percentage of people that are hired are accepting the job (unlike a year ago when many were getting offers from 2-4 airlines and choosing their favorite).

It used to be that they had 2 stacks of applications (or so the story went) one for guys with types, one for guys without. Getting the type moved you to the faster/shorter/typed stack but either way you would get an interview eventually. Now, especially without the type, I think the competitive screen part comes into play and it might be a long time to get an interview. I know of at least 2 guys in my squadron with apps in from June (no types but very competitive otherwise) that have not heard so I think that 6 months is definitely optimistic if not unrealistic. I think predicting when a non-type rated person will get an interview could be like predicting when the next Big One will hit California, lots of guesses but not much in the way of useful info.

here is the website page where they talk about the 'competitive screen.'
http://www.southwest.com/careers/pilots.html

the exact verbage is below

***When reviewing the Supplemental Pilot Information of those who meet the minimum qualifications, we will grant interviews on a competitive basis.

So, I think with the new 'competitive screen' in place, it makes sense to update every so often, especially with new type ratings or more hours. I do not know if they have a set way to do it but I think the old advice of only update for phone/address change info is exactly that, old.

just my 2 cents based on what I thought I heard from the HR folks back in late January and what the website says. It did not used to say the sentence about 'competitive basis.'

Firstthird

I will confirm the info in the above replies.

When Heather and Rebekah came to my HPA type rating class in January, they specifically told us to update only if:

1. Your contact info changes, or

2. You get a 737 type rating.

I imagine if a great amount of time goes by without getting a call, you might want to update your time if it has significantly changed. Just make sure to explain in a cover letter that your flight time has changed significantly, and that's why you are sending an update.

Also, the type rating makes a HUGE difference now that SWA is "competitively screening" applications. I had my app on file for more than 4 months. But, the call to interview didn't come until shortly after I faxed in a copy of my new 737 type. GET THE TYPE!

Latest resources

Back