Does size matter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

southFL

I am a low time charter pilot. I really want to work for a major at some point in my career as opportunities present themselves. I am patiently and happily going about paying my dues, but I have a question:

I currently fly a 21,500 lbs MGTOW jet aircraft. I have the opportunity to fly a approx 70,000 lbs MGTOW jet aircraft at the same company. The catch is that I will probably be a legit captain (in other words non-"co-captain") on the smaller jet in the next 6 months.

If I have the ambition to work for a major, what would be the most advantageous to accomplishing that goal? Stand alone captain on a small jet or co-captain of sorts on a larger jet?

I respect and appreciate your feedback and opinions; even the ones that make jokes at my expense.

IMHO go for the PIC. I have a ton of hours but all SIC as I have not been able to upgrade to Captain at AA in 13 years. My signed-for-the-airplane PIC is only 1300 and as such is hampering my efforts to get an interview at SWA.

Unit

what are the specific airplanes involved? i would probably take the bigger plane. you want the majors now, but who knows what you will want in 5 yrs.....another type rating involved?

1000 Tj Pic

Stick with getting your 1000 TJ PIC before you go anywhere, except another place that gets you TJ PIC. you are not a real player in the moving up the job latter until you have that 1000 TJ PIC on your resume. The bigger the airplane the easier it is to fly and the harder to learn.

Last edited:
Hands down......get the turbine PIC, everything else is fluff.

pilotyip said:
Stick with getting your 1000 TJ PIC before you go anywhere, excepet another place that gets you TJ PIC. you are not a real player in the moving the job latter until you have that 1000 TJ PIC on your resume. The bigger the airplane the easier it is to fly and the harder to learn.

I agree with pilotyip -- except I'd bump that number up to 2000. I heard a SW regional chief say that the unofficial "floor" is 1800 T-PIC. Of course, if you're "special" I'm sure there's a little flexibility. But if you're not drinking buddies with "the man", don't count on 1000 being anywhere near "competitive" regardless of how impressive the rest of your resume is . . .

(My opinion only -- I'm definitely NOT in the know . . .)

Cheers!

Yep....get the PIC turbine. 1000 hrs PIC used to be the goal put I'd agree with JC, get 2000.....1000 PIC just isn't really competitive anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. Some of my fellow co-workers are telling me I'm crazy for passing it up. To their credit, if I wanted to stay GA, a Gulfstream type would be nice, but there is something to be said for a schedule.

The grass may always be greener somewhere else, but an airline is where I want to end up. Anyone who has done the charter thing knows what I am talking about.

Hopefully one day, I will get a chance to share a flight deck with you guys and not just a chat room.

Plus the fact that the Lear is heavier than 20,000 lbs. I would definitely go for the upgrade in the Lear instead of the right seat of the GS. I have been very fortunate so far in my aviation career, and due to family ties, I had the opportunity to fly a corporate G5 and two Citations. I passed. I would not leave the airlines for the best corporate gig, unless I didn't have another choice. I love the airlines. The schedule, the travel bennies, and especially the fact that all I do is come to work, drive from A to B, and then go home. That is definitely the best part.

box

Latest resources

Back