Does she have a chance with you?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just a kid

You're a CFI. A potential student comes to you. She has just bought a Lake Amphibian. She has soloed a C-152, has no other ratings and wants to finish her private SEL in her own airplane. Can you legally instruct her in the Lake?

I don't know what difference this makes, but she is very beautiful. Just wanted you to have all the information.

some are high performance so you'd have to deal with that if appropriate. I am pretty they are complex too so same deal there.
Then takeoff and land on land airports and train away......
Am I missing something here?

Yup, will do and she has a chance.

A SES rating helps to sign her off, gear up and all.

Do you have a picture of her? Just want to make sure she is beautiful. You know, the real standard beauty.;)

Just a kid said:
Good! Will your FBO's insurance allow you to do that if you do not have x00 hours in the LA4-200?
Your FBO's insurance would have nothing to do with it if it's her airplane. You will have to be named under her policy. Just make sure you are personally insured as an instructor either through your school or AOPA in case you bust up her airplane and she goes after you.

Wouldn't have a chance with me since I'm married, but if I were a single dude, I'da been all up in dat a$$. Seriously though, go for it. Sounds like fun....

MarineGrunt said:
Your FBO's insurance would have nothing to do with it if it's her airplane. You will have to be named under her policy. Just make sure you are personally insured as an instructor either through your school or AOPA in case you bust up her airplane and she goes after you.

Thanks, Grunt. We'll check out the named-pilot stuff.

Just a kid said:
Thanks, Grunt. We'll check out the named-pilot stuff.
OK, be very careful you understand what the policy says. Just being listed on the policy as an approved pilot does not protect you. All that says is that the insurance company agrees to pay the owner if you're flying it. It may still go after you to recover thier losses. In order to be protected, you have to be a named insured, or an additional insured party or some such terminology.

Here are two articles which describe it a little more thouroughly:

http://www.avweb.com/news/insure/188814-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/insure/190338-1.html

I agree with most of the posts. Check her insurance carefully. We had a guy with a C177RG and he wanted to do his PPL in it. His insurance did not allow it. Insurance companies tend to be harder on retracts for the private. I've done a lot of high performance PPL's but none had retracts. I'd imagine if you pay enough it could be done. It's usually always about money when it comes to insurance companies.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back