Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
Just wondering if everybody is in the same boat on this? You're calling in-range, or calling your times in (for the non-ACARS people), and you politely ask the ops people to give the hotel a buzz and tell them that you'll be curbside in XX minutes. They say "sure, no problem" or "they've already been called". Good, alright, no wait in the cold. So you put the plane to bed, and walk on out to the curb, looking expectantly for that green Holiday Inn van. And you wait, and wait, and wait some more. "Does anybody have the hotel number handy?" "Do you have your pairing handy?" So you dig it out of your bag (you'd think after 5 years I'd learn) and call the hotel. "Oh, okay, we'll send the van right out..." Geez. "Did you ever get a call from xxxxx operations?" "No this is the first call tonight." Figures. Is this happen everywhere, or just at those USAirways stations that still insist on calling any express aircraft a "commuter" when they only get 2 or 3 big jets a day? Or do I work for a company with spoiled pilots who expect too much and don't even know it? Granted, this only happens to me about 5 or 6 nights a month (when I'm typically out 12-15 nights a month), but it gets old being lied to.

No, it's not just you, and it's not just US Airways stations. Continental and CoEx stations do it to us constantly: "No problem, I'll call them right now." Lies, all lies.

I make it a habit to put the hotel's number in my cellphone sometime before the end of the evening, so it's handy when we land. I call them myself while the passengers are unloading. If ops wants to do it, great, but I call to confirm that they're on the way, and tell then what time we'll be there. Asking ops to call the van is an exercise in futility.

My favorite is the CoEx station in Portland, ME, which TWICE last month said they'd call for the van for us and did, but neglected to tell me when we landed that the van driver was out sick and the hotel said we'd need to take a taxi. Think maybe you guys could tell us that when we call in on the ground with our times, instead of leaving us outside in 5 degree weather before we give up and call the hotel ourselves, having wasted half an hour now of our 8.5-hour overnight?

So no, it's not just you. :D

Good, glad to hear it. I do occasionally remember to put the hotel number in my phone, but not always. Just the other day, we were calling the hotel, using the number provided on our pairing (it was a new overnight down south in NC, so we were unfamiliar). The guy on the other end has no idea who we are. I ask "this is the such and such hotel right?". "Uh, no.". "Oh, okay, sorry for bothering you.". So it was a trip to that big board of phones in baggage claim. Good times, and a wasted 20 minutes.

I just noticed...

CA1900, I usually try not to get political here (save for the occasional Mesa bashing, which is always good fun), but I can't help but notice your remark about ALPA in your info. Be careful where you place your loyalties. Coming from a wholly-owned pilot, paying dues from a regional paycheck doesn't get you more than a subscription to a magazine and a shiny pin. I have heard good things about ALPA Aeromedical, but fortunately I have yet to need those services. I have no idea what the political (mis)connections between your company, CAL, and Expressjet are, but don't be surprised if they sell you down the river for the benefit of your new "brothers" whose dues contribution is larger.

Re: I just noticed...

91 said:
CA1900, I usually try not to get political here (save for the occasional Mesa bashing, which is always good fun), but I can't help but notice your remark about ALPA in your info. Be careful where you place your loyalties. Coming from a wholly-owned pilot, paying dues from a regional paycheck doesn't get you more than a subscription to a magazine and a shiny pin. I have heard good things about ALPA Aeromedical, but fortunately I have yet to need those services. I have no idea what the political (mis)connections between your company, CAL, and Expressjet are, but don't be surprised if they sell you down the river for the benefit of your new "brothers" whose dues contribution is larger.

The issue with Commutair and ALPA, was that Continental's ALPA MEC was able to obtain positions for furloughed Express pilots at Commutair in addition to paying for medical insurance during thier furloughs. In return, an attempt to ALPAtize the Commutair pilots failed. Not looked kindly upon by many Express pilots. In my opinion ALPA is far from perfect in this complicated industry, but given the choice between ALPA, Teamsters, independent or no union, I'd choose ALPA.

Short answer, they rarely call. No matter who you are.

Remember that as pilots we are overpaid and underworked. Nobody in the industry wants to help us out because everything is handed to us on a silver platter.

On a serious note, does anyone else get the feeling that as pilots we are at the bottom of the totem pole? I mean I can't tell you how often when a suggestion is made about something we get a response to the effect "That would be too hard on scheduling", or "That would be too hard on MX". Nobody ever says "That would be too hard on the flight crews".

As for CommutAir and ALPA, what's done is done (for now). No use on pointing fingers. Things may very well be different this summer.

91 said:
Just wondering if everybody is in the same boat on this? You're calling in-range, or calling your times in (for *snip*
month (when I'm typically out 12-15 nights a month), but it gets old being lied to.

dude, come on now, you know better than that lol. I'm guessin, where.....musta been ITH? oooh no crotchfester wasnt' it...
It's a beef I was discussing last week, the whole 'mainline' station jerkoffs treating us like crap just because crystal city pulled jets out and are turning them to express stations, ie BDL, ROC, ABE, BUF, BWI, uhm, dang, had a whole list of miserable stations...

Comair specifically asks us NOT to call the hotel. Aparently, the hotels have to check the flight arrival information (internet/phone) and show up accordingly. That is part of their contract. If we don't see them within 15 min (I think) at the curb, we call our hotels folks and can get a cab at hotel expense.

This has worked our pretty well. I've only had a couple of times when the van didn't show and they were unaware of our arrival.

Re: I just noticed...

91 said:
CA1900, I usually try not to get political here (save for the occasional Mesa bashing, which is always good fun), but I can't help but notice your remark about ALPA in your info. Be careful where you place your loyalties.

I'm very careful where I place my loyalties, and believe me, we weighed many options before trying to bring ALPA on property. It was and always has been between us and our management.

I realize the wholly-owned U carriers got hosed when things got tough, but we get hosed even when things are GOOD. Our captain payscale has moved up a whopping 20 cents an hour in FIFTEEN YEARS! (And "first-year" captains still make the same as in 1989.) Our CEO had an open-house meeting a couple weeks ago, and somebody asked about getting longevity pay.* We had to explain to him what it was, and when we did, he said, "Well, if somebody brought that proposal to me, I'd throw him out of my office." No joke.

So, thanks for your concern, but I'm all too familiar with how our company operates, and believe me, ALPA was far preferable to what we have now (nothing).

Fly2Scuba, you couldn't be more wrong about "the issue." The campaign to unionize was underway before we even signed the CO codeshare three years ago, and long before the first CoEx furloughee was flying here. The deal ALPA organized to get their furloughees jobs in exchange for allowing us into CLE came much later. There was no "attempt to ALPAtize the Commutair pilots" by anyone except CommutAir pilots.

To outsiders, it appears like they engineered it to coincide with the CoEx pilots being on our seniority list, but it was simply favorable timing (or should have been) on our part. CALALPA only helped with the campaign because we asked them to, because they're a good example of how much better things could be with some negotiating leverage.

Now, wasn't this a thread about hotel vans?

* For those unfamiliar, we're paid by year in SEAT, not year at company. If the company doesn't upgrade you for three years, you're then still a "first-year" captain paid the same $30 that somebody upgrading in 14 months was paid. And that guy will forever be a year and a half ahead of you in pay, even though he's been at the company only a month longer. This has happened here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back