Does JetBlue hedge Fuel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whymeworry? said:
How can they charge $25 a seat and make money?

I don't believe they hedge fuel at all. I also doubt they are going to make money on a $25 ticket, but that is just an intro fare (unless they pull an Indy.. we've seen a lot of those intro fares for the last year! :() and it's only on a few seats. It's to get some attention and build up the route a little. I imagine that if the 190 turns out to be as good as everyone (that is buying them) is hoping, in conjunction with jB's very low cost structure, cheaper tickets will be the norm on those routes, though higher than $25.

Has anyone heard if jetBlue posted a loss for 3rd quarter or not? Talking to a few people that work over there, they are possibly going to post a loss for Qt 3 and 4 of this year. To be expected, though... fuel, competition, spooling up new a/c, etc...

Funny, Spirit is 100% hedged in 2006 and Jetblue is 0%.

They did buy a cat policy just in case fuel heads further north due to a named peril.....probably terror act of some sort. I think it's a smart move as the economy is slowing and 2006 should yield $50 per barrel by spring and $40. by fall.

:beer:

lowecur said:
Funny, Spirit is 100% hedged in 2006 and Jetblue is 0%.

They did buy a cat policy just in case fuel heads further north due to a named peril.....probably terror act of some sort. I think it's a smart move as the economy is slowing and 2006 should yield $50 per barrel by spring and $40. by fall.

:beer:

Very aggressive prediction. I hope you are right!!

If 2006 averages $45 a barrel the industry will do very well. But I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

That price would make Airtran's and Alaska's hedges basically worthless and even out the playing field.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Very aggressive prediction. I hope you are right!!

If 2006 averages $45 a barrel the industry will do very well. But I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

That price would make Airtran's and Alaska's hedges basically worthless and even out the playing field.

Not really even for SWA. Are you guys not hedged through 2150 at .05 cents a barrel?;)

Please tell me you guys have a good time over there at SWA, cause damn if it ain't bleak everywhere else. I hope somebody's doing well.

Latest resources

Back