Does it suck to fly for a reginonal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

It seems like all everyone does is complain about flying for a reigional airline... I have been considering maybe finding a new line of work instead of flying. I mean come on, low pay, crap schedule, job unstablity. Whats so great about it? Sure if you maybe make it to a major. Which there is a good chance that you wont. Give me some input please.

No one ever said it was an easy career....

A lot of guys who got started flying in the late 90's say only the good times... thought it would be a quick trip to the Majors... Little did they know (or want to believe) that the hiring boom of the late 90's was an anomoly that will probably not be repeated anytime soon... There has never been a pilot shortage, and probably never will be (no matter what Kit Darby says)...

If your heart is in flying 100% then you will grin and bear it... working through the crappy hours, poor schedule, terrible pay and other not-so-nice aspects of flying... and maybe someday, in the distant future, you will land a decent paying job that has a halfway decent schedule... But then again, who knows... with the way the economy is going and the Industry is going... there are going to be a LOT of guys making careers at the regionals...

Good luck to you...

I guess it depends on your perspective.

I got into the game later than some at 28. I imagine that starting at a regional at age 32 puts me further away from ending up at a major with a good schedule than I thought when I got into flying.

however....

say I spend 28 years at a regional. I'll spend my 40's and 50's working maybe 3 days a week and making over 100K. I'll have seniority enough to do most of what I want with wife and kids and still fly. I'll get to travel to pretty much wherever I want for free. I'll retire at 60.

I don't know of any other options I have in front of me that offer anything close to that as far as pay, time off, etc. I could go back to school and re-train for business, finance, or something that could pay me more, but I WANT to fly airplanes.

I'm convinced it'll be worth. Who knows what changes will come? Either way, I'll make the most of it because it's what I want to do, and for me is a lot more fun than any other JOB I've had.

cieli azuri,

UP

Thanks Utah.. Same story here. 34 yrs old, career changer, etc. Do I have any ambition going to a major? Absolutely not. Perspective is everything. If there are pilots out there that must make 200k a year or more, more power to them. I will be very content as stated earlier enjoying seniority, good pay and travel at a fantastic regional.

Ummm over 100,000$ per year at a regional?? I dont think so. Show me where you see those salaries??

I personally know of a Captain at SkyWest who will pull down $130,000 this year. Not too bad :D

bigbird said:
Ummm over 100,000$ per year at a regional?? I dont think so. Show me where you see those salaries??

That would be max Captain pay which would probably take 12-15 years to get to as a Captain... plus probably needing some overtime in there to make up the difference...

bigbird said:

I've seen pay rates posted for the larger regionals ...

for example: Air Wisconsin's top pay for CRJ CA at the end of the current contract is $106.60/hr., and for the BAe 146 it's $135.65.

Comair and the other top regionals have similar pay rates, so $100,000/year is certainly possible at these companies. And as utahpilot pointed out, those that make a career at one of the better regionals can reasonably expect this kind of salary, along with the good schedule that comes with seniority.

However, since what you see is "low pay, crap schedule, and job unstablility" (whatever that is); then perhaps it is not the career for you.

Most working slobs would be very envious of a person who works 3 days a weeks for over $100,000 a year and can fly for free anywhere in the world.

Get on a with a top notch "regional" carrier and have a pretty decent career. If I don't have the opportunity to work for a major, i'll still be very happy where I am at.

RR

Latest resources

Back