Does Flt engineer count as total time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tdvalve said:

Don't know about your FAR 1, but mine says flight time starts when an airplane moves under it's own power for the purpose of flight and stops wnen it comes to rest. It doesn't mention anything about a pilot. My FAR 1 also defines a flightcrew member as a pilot, FE, or navigator. Maybe you're mixing the FAR 61 (pilot) definitions in with FAR 1.

Actually, it very specifically mentions pilot . Here are exact quotes from MY FAR Part 1 definitions of "flight time" and "flight crewmember".

FAR Part 1 defines "flight time" as pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing.

It also defines "flight crewmember" as a pilot, flight engineer, or flight navigator assigned to duty in an aircraft during flight time.

It clearly states that flight time is pilot time, and a pilot is separate from a flight engineer, as defined in the "flight crewmember" definition.

more of same

Thanks for replies. Checked with someone in cheif pilots office yesterday. Although ti wasn't the cheif pilot who is away.

This concerns 9E / Express One / Pinnacle.

No word on specifics.

Helicopter time; counts only if you have prequisite fixed wing time?

Level 3 Sim time; the person acted as though they were dissatisfied that they have to count it, but said they have to because the FAA says it counts it as total time.

At that answer it colored my next question on FE time.

I asked well if the FAA counts 1 hour of time out of 3 towards total time required for your ATP (which I have) can I count 500 of my 1600 total 121 FE / Second Officer time as total time.

Answer... no. Clarification.... None. And I wasn't going to push it but I would like to have it clarrified by the chief pilot and a legal clarification by the FAA.

I have heard of a suit against a major airline by some FE's that had many years as 121 FE and due to recent layoffs were put out on the street not in line with their seniority number due to the company saying they had not enough total time to upgrade to FO and more recently hired FO's got to keep their job. This involved downsizing the airlines fleet from 727's.

Anyone hear of this. ALPA must be involved with or know of this suit.

A Squared wrote: "I can't comment on what is printed in your copy of the regulations, as I don't your copy in front of me. I do know that my copy of the regulations, a 2002 edition published by ASA, clearly states that flight time means pilot time, just like I posted in my previous post. Just to make sure that ASA hadn't screwed up, I checked the copy of the Code of Federal Regulations which the US government makes available on the internet. CFR Title 14, Part 1 says: "

Well, A Squared, you got me there. Thinking that the definition of flight time would be set in stone, I referred to the nearest FAR 1 book, a 1997 publication from the Govt Printing Office. Apparently the definition was changed after 1997 to the version you quoted. Now it makes no sense at all: FE's, Navigators, and airplanes no longer accumulate flight time, at least according to FAR 1. Therefore, there's no way to meet the requirements to become a flight engineer.
Somebody had their head up their butt on this one!

Squared

Don't get offended, I just asked a simple question on where you work. And you respond in a defensive way. Tell you what don't bother. I know your kind.

>>>>And you respond in a defensive way.

Hey! You've totally misinterpreted my response, C141FE.

It was just that, I answered your question and asked why you were interested, nothing more than that. It wasn't supposeed to be defensive. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

regards

Latest resources

Back