Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does attending a job fair increase your chances of getting hired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JohnnyDrama

Do any of you at the major level attend job fairs to recruit pilots?

If any of you are on 'hiring teams' or have any actual insight, do attending these events in this day and age actually help? I know that is a broad question, but major's like Southwest, Delta, United ect don't actually need to recruit pilots this way with the thousands of online apps they receive during a hiring window. Therefore is Flight Ops who hosts these events paying or otherwise enticing said airlines to attend, or do the airlines actually prefer to attend looking for candidates? Im trying my best to further my career, but wondering if it actually increases the chances of a future interview.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Who knows if it helps. The question is are you going to spend the time and money to go after a job. It is very tough in avation right now, so it may not help but it cannot hurt.

Yeah those are my exact thoughts too, and the reason I attend, it just makes me curious if it actually DOES help. One of those things we'll never know i suppose, unless someone on this board is on the other side of the table at these events and can verify! Or i guess if anyone else can attest to getting an interview specifically because of one.

I'd say it can help getting an interview but not the job.

Like a recommendation can help you get to the interview but once your called in it is up to you to make the interview and get the job.

Last edited:
Get you the job? No.

But the odds of getting a job by not going and not prepping and not knowing everything there is to know approaches zero.

I "wasted" about two weeks of time going to interview preps, job fairs, etc. It wasn't a waste. Information is good, more is better, the experience in meeting the folks you may go into an interview with is priceless..

Last edited:
There are plenty of "good" pilots out there, but the key to this industry is "who you know." If you can afford to go to a job fair and meet people including recruiters and other pilots that eventually could help you out, do it. You just never know who might be able to help you land that job you always wanted.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It depends on who you are. What do you look like? Act like? How do you carry yourself? Ect..............................................

It can also hurt you for the same reasons.

It allows companies to legally discriminate in ways that they can not legally do once they offer an interview. Its a very thin line and a slippery slope, but it is what it is.

General and Tailwindz,
Thanks for your responses, you guys make excellent points. I suppose my thread title was too vague. If I could reword it I would ask if anyone on here IS a member of the hiring team and get their responses as well. Non the less you guys all made good points here, and Ill keep going to these events when my schedule permits. Just wonder how much im "missing out" if im unable to attend, but I guess its a crap shoot!

I've never been to one but I'm always curious who's attending.... When I see airlines like Delta, SWA etc. Who are not hiring, it makes me wonder what's up... what kind of deals are there between the airline and the "agency". Is there a requirement to attend for the airline?

I think attending a job fair with overseas carriers attending is a great idea. Especially since they are the one's who are hiring.

I got a job at World Airways from going to a job fair. They interviewed me that night. So yes, you can get a job from a job fair.

Latest resources

Back