• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMB170Pilot

Source: Yahoo.com

By GIOVANNA DELL'ORTO, Associated Press Writer Fri May 25, 7:09 PM ET

ATLANTA - Two doctors on a Delta Air Lines flight from Germany delivered a baby in the aisle of the plane and resuscitated him when he wasn't breathing, officials said. Delta Flight 131 to Atlanta was over the Washington area when a woman about 32 to 36 weeks — or nine months — pregnant went into labor Wednesday afternoon, prompting an emergency stop in Charlotte, N.C., about nine hours into the flight. Though the baby boy wasn't breathing when he was born, he was "like a normal newborn" by Friday, one of the doctors who helped deliver him said. The baby was born in front of the first seats after first class, one of the roomiest aisles in a plane. Using a stethoscope that was part of medical equipment onboard, the doctors realized the baby had a very slow or arrested heartbeat as the woman was in labor.

"Delivering a baby in an aisle of a plane isn't an easy thing to do," one of the doctors, Dr. Robert Vincent, a pediatric cardiologist with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, said Friday. "I didn't think the child would survive." Vincent worked with Dr. Dieter K. Gunkel, an adult cardiologist from Savannah, Ga., to deliver the baby. When he was born, he was blue and wasn't breathing or moving. Vincent started chest compressions and Gunkel did mouth-to-mouth breathing until the boy "pinked up," Vincent said. "We were flying by the seat of our pants," Vincent said, adding that he didn't even realize baby was a boy until his birth was announced to applauding passengers. Vincent said the baby weighed about seven pounds. His name wasn't available.

The mother, whose identity was not released, was taken to a hospital with the baby. About an hour after the emergency landing, the flight continued to Atlanta, officials said. "It was a heroic effort by our flight attendant crew and our customers on board who were fortunately doctors," said Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton. Doctors usually discourage pregnant women to fly at the ninth month, but Talton said Delta has no policy to deny boarding. Other airlines, including Lufthansa and Northwest Airlines, require a medical certificate for women who are at the 36th week of pregnancy.

What are the odds of having a pediatric cardiologist on the plane?

What are the odds of having to deliver a baby who is having cardio/respiratory problems on an airplane and having a pediatric cardiologist on the plane?

This woman needs to buy a lottery ticket. Not to mention a brain. Traveling that close to term on a scheduled 10-12 hour flight... BRILLIANT!

People should have to get a license to have kids and an IQ test should be part of the screening.

This woman needs to buy a lottery ticket. Not to mention a brain. Traveling that close to term on a scheduled 10-12 hour flight... BRILLIANT!

Thank you. She had no business on that plane, and if I were one of the hundreds that missed their flight in ATL because of it, I'd be seriously pissed.

On a positive note, we at Delta have several snacks to choose from to help celebrate our new passenger. They include Sun Chips, Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, Biscoff cookies....... :D

On a positive note, we at Delta have several snacks to choose from to help celebrate our new passenger. They include Sun Chips, Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, Biscoff cookies....... :D

I don't care who you are......That's funny!

If the baby would have died, this stupid mother would have probably sued Delta Airlines for not having a delivery room staffed with Docs and Nurses on board the aircraft.

Didn't I read somewhere that Delta was going to provide a pediatric cardiologist on every international flight? They really have turned things around over there.

So what do they put on baby's birth certificate as a place of birth?
10C

Wouldn't want to automatically upgrade the baby to Business or 1st class unless it paid the applicable upgrade fee. Maybe it could technically use Mommy's Sky Miles for the upgrade...? I mean, he's been flying, too. ;)

What about the Doctors? Will they be compensated by Delta? Free First Class Roundtrips to Europe for their families sounds appropriate!

A buddy of mine who happens to be a Cardiologist as well just told me a story a few weeks ago where he assisted a woman who was having respitory problems on a Delta Flight as well. When they asked for a Doctor he helped out. They ended up diverting apparently, so he was late getting to Atlanta. I think he said he received a piece of china with a thank you note from Delta. Im really not sure. I think any doctors that gets involved while in flight should receive some sort of 'Free Tickets' anywhere in the system.

After all, these guys subject themselves to lawsuits even when they prescribe aspirin.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back