• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you veterans miss the military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I joined the military to fly planes, drink beer, chase women, help kill our enemies (our mission),

We used to drink whiskey and f**k women; now we drink diet coke and f**k each other . . . . .

I miss my unit's being the reason for a tower at my RF-4 base ( TAC formation Split S to initial? No problem! ); where my RTU instructors told me I was going back to the best TAC Recce unit in the world . . . It was. I miss the camaraderie of Holloman, Boise, and my home unit. Cold ones with my bros who shared the feeling that words can't explain.

Just like Hobit, whenever I fly with a mil guy there is an instant bond that automatically makes it a great trip.

I went through Holloman in '89, right before Go-Rilla (Miss'ippi pronunciation) and it was a blast.

Now in the Reserves. Whenever we have a "careerist" come through the question we ask each other is "why the f**k did he ever leave AD?"

Plenty of queep but it's been a lot more good than bad . . . . so far!

We used to drink whiskey and f**k women; now we drink diet coke and f**k each other . . .

I’ll let that one slide by :laugh:

I’m glad to see others enjoy flying with mil bro’s as much as I do...I thought I was just being a bias prick!!! I’ve got nothing against civilian flyers…I respect how they worked hard to end up where they’re at. There just seems to be an instant camaraderie when I fly with a former mil dude…it’s like we both breathe a sigh of relief!!! I’ve yet to have a bad trip with a mil guy, but definately a few bad ones with the alternative. Perhaps it’ll get better when I’m off probation and I can speak my mind more freely when the captain begins his rant on why the war in Iraq is nothing more than a slaughter house of Iraqi civilians, or why our 10 hour duty day is horse sh*t (I was screaming on the inside!!! I actually got into it with this guy…but, in his defense, I think he respected me for standing my ground).

Last edited:
I've worked almost entirely in small software startups since I retired in 1994. The people I work with are the smartest people you will find anywhere in terms of IQ.

Still, I'd have to rate the people in my flying squadrons as being the very best group of individuals I've ever worked with, bar none.

My advice to anyone in the service to stay in flying units as long as you can. Do anything you can to avoid staff and support units.

I miss life in a fighter squadron, but I never, ever, miss life on the staff.

I hope you're not the "Harry" guy (who flew Shadows) I am thinking about. Used to walk around and say "Hi I'm Harry XXXX.....EP". One night I guess someone had enough and said: "What's that stand for? Extra Pilot?"

If you're him, then I could think of quite a few all civilian guys I'd rather fly with. If not, then tell me if you know Useless and/or Bent and how are they doing?

I miss military flying, I do not miss the military....and I was gung ho. There are plenty of things to do with your life and airline lifestyle gives me the time and money to do it. Just like a guy who is retired, if you are bored with your life outside the military, then you, my friend, have no imagination.

Last edited:
"Hi I'm Harry XXXX.....EP".

True story. Names obviously changed. At my Guard unit we had WSOs come down on occasion from the NAF to fly with us. One otherwise unmemorable Major went around shaking hands, "hi, I'm Lt Col selectee 'John Doe.'" A 2Lt pilot replied, quick as a wink, with "1st Lt selectee 'Joe Smith.'"

As we used to say there: "F**kin' A, Bubba!!"

I hope you're not the "Harry" guy (who flew Shadows) I am thinking about. Used to walk around and say "Hi I'm Harry XXXX.....EP". One night I guess someone had enough and said: "What's that stand for? Extra Pilot?"

If you're him, then I could think of quite a few all civilian guys I'd rather fly with. If not, then tell me if you know Useless and/or Bent and how are they doing?

I miss military flying, I do not miss the military....and I was gung ho. There are plenty of things to do with your life and airline lifestyle gives me the time and money to do it. Just like a guy who is retired, if you are bored with your life outside the military, then you, my friend, have no imagination.

Definitely not the Harry guy you’re referring to...if I was, I'd have to kick my own a$s. Harry was a nickname I had for like two seconds when I flew C-21s and I just wasn’t creative enough to think of another name for my login. Not too many people use the term “filthy savage” with the exception of a very select few (a term I’m particularly fond of). I knew Useless briefly before he left the 9th back in ‘02…I know Bucaca, Wheels, Big Sexy, Itchy, Slop, angry nav, 5th flyers, and probably a bunch of other dudes you know as well…any of these names ring a bell??? When did you leave Shadows???

PM me if you like man and I’ll fill you in on the bros and what they’re up to!!!

All Shadow guys walk around like they're badazzes. You fly a few missions in Afghanistan and think your sh*t doesn't stink. Most arrogant and egotistical bunch of pilots I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. 5th, 9th, 17th...all the same. Tools.

All Shadow guys walk around like they're badazzes. You fly a few missions in Afghanistan and think your sh*t doesn't stink. Most arrogant and egotistical bunch of pilots I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. 5th, 9th, 17th...all the same. Tools.

Don't sugar coat it Magnum, tell us what you really think!

That's sh!t's funny!!!

Latest resources

Back