Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cezzna

Remeber the analog
I'm to that point in my career where logging time is starting to seem pointless. I'm really considering just hanging up the logbook. How many here still log time and how many don't? How do you approach an interview without having logged time for years? Do employers care as long as your experience is verifiable?

Dude, that reminds me, I haven't seen my log book for over five years. My, how time flies.

I'd just keep logging it for the heck of it. You've done it for many, many, many years obviously at this point - why stop now.

I think it'd be nice to know how many hours I've flown throughout my lifetime after I've hung up the ole headset for the last time.

I'm about to interview at my sixth airline and you'd better believe I keep mine up (almost 12,000 hours). You never know when you'll be looking for another job, and you'd best believe that airlines don't look to kindly on interviewees that show up with incomplete logs.

Last edited:
njcapt said:
I'm about to interview at my sixth airline and you'd better believe I keep mine up (almost 12,000 hours). You never know when you'll be looking for another job, and you'd best believe that airlines don't look to kindly on interviewees that show up with incomplete logs.
6th airline? Hahahahahahaha, I like it.

After my 7th airline job (sigh) I gave up on logging time. I log total-time monthly now, but dont mess with logging instrument, night, landings, etc.

I have no intention of interviewing with another airline so hopefully I wont need such precise records again. I made my wife promise to shoot me in the knees if I ever suggested that an airline job might be a good idea again...

When I got hired at United, I stopped logging night, instrument, landings, etc. And then, oops, I got furloughed. I've always logged every flight though.

Related question. If you do a 3 or 4 leg day, do you use a separate line for each leg, or one line for the entire day? I use one line. Also, if you're flying the same corporate Citation day in and day out, do you put the tail number every time? I don't...just the type.

I say keep up the logbook for at least nostalgic reasons...your kids might like to thumb through it in 50 years.

I log every flight, over 12K hrs, and make a note in the comments section on the flight to help me remember that flight; my logbook is my pilot's diary. It helps me remember people, places and things. I like to fly and recording what I have done in the air is part of the ongoing adventure.

I wish I'd done what yip does. But I didn't. Now, my company keeps very detailed records and we get a printout each year summarizing our activity.TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back