• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

do you read in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know what the exact answer should be, but if someone asked me this at an interview, I would say no. I assume you are referring to pleasure reading (magazine, novel, etc.) The reason being if it is not related to the flight, it is not appropriate.

Well, comming from an airline that does not allow pleasure reading in the cockpit it is common practice to read anyway. I have a feeling that this is the case for most airlines and most individuals. That being said, if I was interviewing a pilot candidate and they indicated that they never read in the cockpit, I would question their honosty. As a Chief Pilot once told me "We can deal with almost anything except dishonesty." This question might be designed to see how honest your are. You might consider phrasing your response something like " Honestly, it's not something I normally would consider but I have done it in the past." To me, it shows you're human and upfront with the interviewer who more than likely is a pilot him/herself.

XR650R said:
This question might be designed to see how honest your are. You might consider phrasing your response something like " Honestly, it's not something I normally would consider but I have done it in the past." To me, it shows you're human and upfront with the interviewer who more than likely is a pilot him/herself.
It shows me that you have canned answers as they have probably heard the exact same thing before. A response might be "So, I guess I can assume the same answer about drinking during duty?"

reading for pleasure in flight makes for a safer flight.
just like pleasant conversation does.
or doing crossword puzzles.
or soduko.
it alleviates bordom
what is to be avoided is newspapers obscuring the flight instruments.
as far as an interview question, " if it is permitted, then fine if done right, if it is not permitted, you can count on me to follow the fom/gom/sop, on this or any other matter"

cheater1239 said:
reading for pleasure in flight makes for a safer flight.
just like pleasant conversation does.
or doing crossword puzzles.
or soduko.
it alleviates bordom

...yeah right. :)

Last edited:
Answer truthfully. If you say "No", I'm sure they know you're a liar. I can't think of one person who at one point, even for a minute or two, didn't read something that was non company material (Newspaper, magazine, ect)

Latest resources

Back