Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you ever question your career choice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Man

pilotyip said:
I am with Mar all the way; this has been a fantastic adventure. I would change very little, I wanted to be a pilot from the time I saw my first airplane I remember in 1947, a P-51 Mustang. Flying as a Navy pilot was the high light of my career. I got out of flying for about 5 years, did not like being away from airplanes, airports and other pilots, came back and never looked back. The satisfaction has to be internal, that you can control. If the satisfaction is external, that you can not control. This is still a career where a high school grad has the potential to make $100K per year by his mid 30's doing something they love to do. How can it get any better than that?

Most millionaires have only a high school diploma. These days I think it is easier for a hard working laborer to make 100K than a pilot ever will. Additionally it looks like you started back when things were still good. Today things are pretty bleak for new pilots. Maslow's Hierarchy of needs says that a persons basic requirements need to be met before they can find satisfaction. If you are living in a slum and sleeping on the floor with three other poor pilots it is difficult to be satisfied.

My theory is that there are a few lucky aviators out there who lucked into good jobs when needed. They were always a Captain and made good money most of the time. Then these same guys voice to the world how great aviation is and how the rest of us are just disrespectful punks. Their experience is not common and therefore they didn't have to suffer the same setbacks and disappointments as the masses do. It is these same guys who are asked to speak at universities, conventions and flight schools. They profess their love and of how great aviation is and spread the disease to the next generation. I think it is wrong. Colleges also should have a few average pilots give a speech as a reality check, but that doesnt sell pilots licences.

I wish I had stayed with the Fire Department. If I had I would be retired by now.

SkyLine

Skyline

I agree 100% with your sentiments (sp?)

A career in public service, while yes it has its own BS, typically gives more "I accomplished ____ factor" than a non public service job. In addition, the benefits package are usually pretty good, and most allow full retirement by age 50.

No, you will never fly 777's to Paris, working for the fire department, but lets be honest? Who in todays applicant pool, and/or not already a non-furloughed FO at a major, will EVER fly 777's to Paris?

AA has 2800 pilots on furlough as of Jan 2005. Those of us that think a "senior RJ Captain" at Eagle, age 35, is gonna flow-thru upward and see a 777 cockpit by age 60? I don't know, but the chances are slim. How about that 25 year old flying checks in a Baron, who is in next months Eagle class?

etc etc

By the way, every major LCC airline in history has furloughed and had hiring freezes. "Never had a furlough" Delta is in bankruptcy and has imposed huge pay cuts, and furloughed 475 pilots. Even UPS tried to furlough some pilots a few years back. No, LUV, Airtran, and JBLU have not furloughed but nothing is guaranteed in the airline industry. A government/public service job offers much more stability.

FYI, the guy who DID retire (from UAL) flying 777's had his pension plan terminated and his retiree medical benefits put at serious risk.

Nice industry huh? Really takes care of their own don't they...

I think Kit Darby should be indicted for fraud and the major aviation colleges should put a course in the curriculum called "Realities of Aviation 101" or similar.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back