• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do Pilots Think About Crashing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People ask me if I'm ever scared for my life on the job.

"Yeah"

How often?

I'd say a couple times a week on average."

Oh my goodness, is flying really that dangerous?

"Of course, not."

Then what makes you so scared?

"The van ride to the hotel."

Of course we do, it wouldn't be safe to fly if we did not think about crashing and then do everything we can to prevent that crash. Having lived through one crash I certainly don't want to do that again.

most of my time is spent making sure scheduling and management dont schedule to manage me into an accident.

Is it possible to see a thread not worthy of FI?

I'm more worried about the hotel drivers crashing then I am worried about me crashing when I'm flying or other pilots crashing when I'm sitting in the back.

Only time I think of "crashing" is when I'm driving to work from downtown Atlanta.

People ask me if I'm ever scared for my life on the job.
"The van ride to the hotel."

Mid town Manhattan layover. Only time i got in the face of a van driver, town car in this case by myself, no other pilots.

Spent a solemn afternoon at ground zero in late 2001. Led around site by NYPD and NYFD while in uniform.

Pick up around 9pm. Driver speeds through Manhattan streets at 60-70 mph. By the 5th, "WTF, that was clearly a red light?", I look at the ID swinging from the rearview mirror and in big print is his name "Osama".

The guy was yapping on his cellphone like an idiot from the time he closed his door. No wonder they can track these fools. Finally, as we start crossing one of those East River bridges after he sped up to 80+ mph, I had enough, leaned forward and said, "If you go off this bridge, I will kill you before we hit the water, now knock it off, hang up the phone and slow down". (I've traveled 100,000 miles with crazy van drivers, this was well beyond anything)

It worked.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back