Do I need to know someone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BarelyEmployed

Do any of you know if Airtran, JetBlue, AmWest, or Frontier....in the real world....require me to know someone on the property to get an interview? I'm talkin' real world here. What are my odds, not knowing anyone at one of these co's? This assuming I am qualified otherwise, of course.

Thanks!

Barely,

I know no one at Frontier and got an interview about a month after applying...why?... I have no idea, but it IS possible there which is very refreshing. SWA is fairly similar I think, but there are a lot of people in line there. I can't speak for the others, but I have heard guys get called by Air Tran after meeting their recruiter at an Air Inc conference, but mostly I think you need to know someone there. JetBlue is anybody's guess...I think knowing somebody helps though...they have a Blue Dart program, but I don't know exactly what that is. Good luck and hang in there!

I got a job without knowing anyone, but I don't live in 'the real world'.

Of course you can do it!

Well my friend I have to say knowing someone at the carrier you hope to work for helps but it does not mean you do not have a chance without it.

If you are like most pilots in search of your dream job then I am sure you are a presistent individual that has gone out and done everything possible to get that dream job.

I know when I say dream job that many will laugh as the industry has changed so much. But, if you love it as much as I do then you know that where there is a will there is a way. It sounds like a cliche, but its very true that you have some positive energy to seek out and do what you wish to do. It is going to set you apart from all those negative pilots out there that think they don't have a chance. I always say just put your stuff out there to all the carriers and let them turn you down.

We all know the airlines are not going to come knocking on your door. It is entirely upto you to market yourself in this field. There is no other profession that I can think off that has us pay to apply for the job and I believe if you even come close to meeting the carrier's minimums then get your stuff in there and have them look over your credentials.

It certainly is hard to get an application or even a HR representatives to return your calls, let alone look over your resume. But you have to make it happen by being aggresive as you have been to make it this far. You are obviously a driven person as we have seen so many months of damaging information coming from so many carriers that you are still interested and seeking out this profession. So that say's alot about you right there.

Bottom line I think is you need to be dedicated if this is truley what you want out of life. It is definately not an easy road, but one day when you turn 60 and retire you can look back and say that you pursused your dream and you will finanlly get to give yourself a final grade on your career.

I know personaly that I have no desire to do anything other than be involved in the aviation world. There are many tough roads that lie ahead and only time will tell who made the right choice.

So explore all your options and keep in the hunt like your life depended on it at I am sure you will be at a carrier that you will enjoy and have hopefully a long and satisfying career with.

UAL is currently trying to wipe out the pensions and that is one of the things that I used to compare amongst majors air carriers once, but the fact of the matter is that the old days are gone and we as pilots have to adapt to the new way of commercial aviation. As aggravating as it is I know I will stick it out till the end, but battle when with the help of ALPA to makesure we don't get F***ed.

You have to have a positive outlook no matter how bad it gets and just hope that better times are ahead and we as pilot of so many carrier in this predicament prevail.

So stay focused, keep your skills sharp, study and network whenever you can so can stay competitive in this highly competitive world of seeking out that dream job.

I know this sounds like a pep talk, but it is true that if you want it bad enough then you will find away to make it happen whether you know someone at your carrier of chocie or not.

Like Daddy said with Frontier he/she knew no one and I have friends working at all the carriers you want to work for and the new no one either. They landed a job after being with ABC airlines. So it does happen!

God works in mysterious ways as does HR and the pilot hiring boards. All you can do is continue to keep a safe and clean flying record and when the time comes to interiview I am sure your brother and sisters on this board will help you out.

Best of luck in your pursuit to find that ultimate flying job!

xrated said:
Pretty much have to know someone to get an app from AWA.
I got an app from AWA after speaking with them at an Air Inc conference, and I don't know anyone there. 'Course I haven't heard anything back after submitting said app seven months ago either....

Just to let you know Mooseflyer...I personaly know that they have hired pilots without knowing anyone at AWA...so good luck.

Off course it helps to know someone but not a requirement.

BarelyEmployed said:
Do any of you know if Airtran, JetBlue, AmWest, or Frontier....in the real world....require me to know someone on the property to get an interview? I'm talkin' real world here. What are my odds, not knowing anyone at one of these co's? This assuming I am qualified otherwise, of course.

Thanks!
Dozens (if not hundreds) of folks have been hired at JB without knowing a soul here. However, it helps a lot once you get selected for an interview to know someone (anyone, not just a pilot) that will fill out an online recommendation or write you a letter of recommendation. In fact, our hiring process tries it best to avoid any "buddy buddy" practices prior to being selected for your Phase One Interview. Once you have sucessfully passed Phase One, any letters, online stuff, or word of mouth goes a long way in helping you get on board. Of course, don't forget it works both ways. Knowing someone at Jetblue CAN be a detriment just as easy.

Try to keep this in mind, and this is advice to anyone out there looking to eventually hire on with Jetblue; the world is round and you may be burning a bridge before you ever get a chance to cross it.

Welcome to the cliche festival!

What I mean is that a lot of the banter that goes on here at this very internet board gets remembered. And although you may think you are anonymous, you may want to think twice before you type. No jive, just a word of friendly advice from the semi-wise.

If you don't believe me, ask DLRedline. Right Red?

C yaaa

Last edited:
I did not know a soul at JetBlue when I applied. However, this board proved a valuable resource in learning about the company, learning about the process and getting to know others. Guys like JetBlue320, Blue Bayou, DLRedline, Colorado418, sidestick'n, jaxgus, bluedude, banger, AlbieF15, and others were very helpful in providing me guidance and encouragement. While I did not "know" any of them personally, their moral support was invaluable.

Turns out once I got to JetBlue, I came across many guys I did know (I just didn't know they were here). So another tip is to thoroughly ask around to see if any former flying buds are now at your airline of choice.

Best wishes

Skirt

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back