Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do airlines care about type ratings sans time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matchthehatch

Posing this question for a friend who was recently laid off and given money to be used for a type rating. His preference is to go to a Legacy/National/Major. His background is almost exclusively corporate.

Will a 737 or A320 type help him? My initial response to him was to seek a large cabin type, in case a Major doesn't call soon, but he has an airline career squarely in his sights.

Thoughts? I'm going to try to call AA's recruiter to pose this question on Monday, but don't know how far I'll get with her.

Sorry your friend got laid off.

Generally a type is not very useful in the 121 hiring world with no real world PIC in said type to back it up. About the only type that will help in the 121 world w/o pic in type would be a 737 for Southwest. While SWA requires turb pic they do not require it in the 737.

What corp types does your friend have? Maybe getting another corp. type would help get another corp job more than a 737/AB type would for a 121 job.

In the end though more types can't hurt.

Will a 737 or A320 type help him? My initial response to him was to seek a large cabin type, in case a Major doesn't call soon, but he has an airline career squarely in his sights.

Thoughts? I'm going to try to call AA's recruiter to pose this question on Monday, but don't know how far I'll get with her.

My experience is that it will not help him, in some places it can actually hurt him. I wouldn't recommend the investment unless it is with a conditional job offer...!
There is a stigma against PFT....! Although I'm sure you will get several responses from PFT advocates denying it.....!

Posing this question for a friend who was recently laid off and given money to be used for a type rating. His preference is to go to a Legacy/National/Major. His background is almost exclusively corporate.

Your friend needs to bite the bullet and accept the lower pay and get on with a regional. Piedmont and Republic have no-shows for classes now.

Get on with Republic and get an E170/190 type rating provided. Buying a type rating with the exception of a B-737 solely for the purposes of Southwest is a waste of time and money. IMHO.

Since this training will be used as part of a "severance package" and in turn the money will go unused if not used for another rating, I would advise your friend to go get another corporate type rating. Preferably in something that he/she could do some potential contract flying.

IMHO a 737 type with no time says your eventual goal is SWA. Either that or the airline you're interviewing with is not your first choice.

IMHO a 737 type with no time says your eventual goal is SWA. Either that or the airline you're interviewing with is not your first choice.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. With my self and my pilot group, the Gov't had set up a fund for training. I used it to stay current instead of going to truck driving school

Major airline interviewers aren't stupid. They know any applicant has probably applied to and would accept a job offer from any major. The 737 type isn't going to faze them in the least. It shows commitment to finding a major airline job, trainability and (maybe) currency. Interviewers also know that few pilots jump between major airline jobs and that if they hire the guy, he's probably there for good.

"So why the 737 type? Does this mean you'll leave for SWA?"
"Major airline positions are hard to obtain. I was able to obtain funding through the unemployment agency for the 737 type. Working at your airline is my first choice but I need a job to support my family so as I'm sure you already know, I applied to other major airline also. While the 737 makes me eligible for SWA it also shows any employer I can be successful in a large transport category aircraft, have the necessary CRM skills and provides currency."

What if you are a RJ FO and because of no movement decide to obtain the ATP on your own? If you are going to shell out $3,000 for an ATP in a Seneca, what's the difference if you shell out $5,000 for an ATP in a 737 and get the type rating?

What if you are a RJ FO and because of no movement decide to obtain the ATP on your own? If you are going to shell out $3,000 for an ATP in a Seneca, what's the difference if you shell out $5,000 for an ATP in a 737 and get the type rating?

All rj fo's are required to have an ATP

Latest resources

Back