Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

737 Pylt

Um....Floats anyone??
The following is from Mike Stark. I personally put him in the same category as the rest of the "analylists" but here's what he had to say.
Take a good look at the highlighted area!

from Delta Captain Mike Stark:

Delta -- A New Slogan -- With A Fresh Approach

The idea found below is the best idea I can think of with the first dollars of Jerry's very kind and generous benevolent gift of $10 million back to Delta's employees. When you consider all the positive factors that would emanate throughout the employee and retiree ranks I believe Jerry's initiative to "give something back" would be the perfect source of dollars to fund this venture. Read on.

A new paint scheme -- or "livery" -- will be unveiled upon exit from bankruptcy.

The plan is to take all the colors of paint from the previous five paint jobs -- mix it all together - throw it against the hangar wall -- and see how she looks.

Very avant garde -- and as sharp and telling about who we are at Delta -- as the last few.

Although I must admit, when the lime green sperm was explained to me as a "flowing note of music along the fuselage" or an airborne "SONG" -- it did gain some support. Somewhat in the way you start to sympathize with your abductors after they've held you hostage in the same room for a few months. You begin to appreciate your surroundings, no matter how bad they might be.

But this isn't about painting our flying workhorses -- or the twenty new 777 LR's we'll be getting -- or the forty new 787 Dreamliners (farty if you're from Boston) -- or 15 more 757's.

They'll need new paint too -- but who cares what color they are as long as Delta pilots and flight attendants are on the inside, while Delta mechanics keep them in the air, and Delta Reservations fill them up.

No -- this is about an idea I floated up the chain of command in October -- and again last month in March -- to two good people I trust who might just have the power to make something happen. Note you to have float ideas up the chain. They can't be pushed.

Delta has been without a definitive, recognizable slogan we would all be proud of -- for many years. Southwest and AirTran, and United -- among others -- are still killing us in this arena with catchy sound bites, memorable tones, and clever billboards. Did we mention lower fares?

Once again, SONG had it goin' on -- but got eradicated like a bad weed.

John Selvaggio and Joanne Smith, while at SONG -- brought out great things like:

"See Mickey at Mini Prices" to Orlando -- and

"Visit Sin City With Heavenly Fares" -- to Vegas

God knows we will pay millions to an ad agency for things like "Good Goes A-Ground" -- or some wispy bag tags that the DOT statistics show we lose more often than the other guys in many cases. Who wants a slogan tied to something that gets lost everyday?

Who better to reward than the employees of Delta -- for coming up with the new slogan?

Here's the idea:

Broadcast to all shops and departments company wide to submit their suggestions for a new slogan. Do the same for retired Delta employees. The word will spread fast. Everyone who has ever worked for Delta should have an equal shot -- unless they were fired -- or named Ron, Leo, Fred, or Michele.

Pick a blue ribbon panel that encompasses at least a dozen or so employees. They will make up the committee that votes on the initial submissions. Panel members can also participate and submit a slogan since only the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

Thousands of submissions will be received -- with subsequent voting by ALL employees.

Contact Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover -- and any good pick-up truck company -- since we are in the south -- which includes Texas -- to offer them inclusion in this national advertising campaign that will be open for submissions for three months.

One or all of these car companies will be providing a choice of a new vehicles to the top 12 submissions.

We should be able to get the cars at cost -- or donated -- for the opportunity to be included in the national recognition taking place on behalf of the employees of Delta Air Lines. The leadership at Delta would be exhibiting a superior show of support for the sacrifices the employees made to keep the company afloat and exit bankruptcy in one piece.

Twelve submissions are picked in the semi-final round -- from the ranks of both active and retired employees. Thus, twelve first round winners get a new car or truck.

Additionally, those twelve active employees or retirees will get S1 or S2 passes for three years. Even with full airplanes, an S-1 or S-2 holds good value -- especially when you can now wear most anything you please -- with the new relaxed Non-rev dress code instituted and effective April 15, 2007.

The minimum Grand Prize is $100,000 cash -- net after taxes -- to the winner for any employee with under 10 years. However, the pot sweetens if the employee or retiree who wins has over 10 years with the company.

The maximum Grand prize will be $10,000 for every year you've been employed by Delta. For example, if a 25 year flight attendant, mechanic, pilot, or retiree is voted the winner, that individual gets $250,000 cash -- net after taxes.

The Grand Prize winner will be selected from the top twelve submissions with a vote by ALL employees. The vote will be on-line via their employee number to ensure a single vote. Retirees would also vote on-line or via phone using their original employee number.

I can't think of any reason not to do this -- other than it wasn't managements' own idea.

And I can think of every reason to do it.

Promote camaraderie, increase company spirit, get some superb advertising mileage from the press and awareness from our customers, boost morale, and -- I almost forgot -- we might just end up with the best slogan we've ever had and the most memorable, clever slogan in the entire airline industry.

Amazing what you'll discover and uncover when you trust and support your own people.

In the meantime, here's a forgotten view of Delta's pride in their own product:

"Can you think of a nicer way to eat up 600 miles?"

"Delta makes your trip a treat."

"No matter how far we take you - we make you feel at home."

"All airlines are alike. Only people make them different."

"From reservation to destination, the big difference is Delta."

"Ever notice how much people like Delta? Ever notice how much Delta likes people?"

"Point to point speed. Person to person service. On Delta you get both."

"Jet be nimble, jet be quick - Delta's jets do the trick."

"Service from the Heart."

"We're Ready When You Are."

"We Love To Fly and It Shows."

"Want to meet the Star of our show at Delta? Our flight attendants are on stage for every show. They're a solid hit. Catch their act between 100 cities nationwide."

"That customer just left his briefcase at the gate and headed to baggage Claim. Hey, give it to Sam Singletary. He'll catch him. He runs the concourse in 10 flat."

I heard 24-28 787s with 100 options, plus more 777LRs too. Interesting if Mike Stark has it right. I have heard this is the biggest order ever to Boeing FROM Delta. (maybe not the biggest Boeing order ever) It sure would be nice.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have to say that the talk over at the Kremlin has been all positive, but fairly tight lipped. They admit they want the 87's and that they want more 77's. They also are looking at a 100-120 seat variant. This will not be an immediate replacement for the 88's either. Lots of good to go around here. It sure is a lot better than the last five years.

They forgot a catchy slogan or two (this is why I'll never get a call):

"We'll get you to your ho and back, lickity split."

"We got you covered like a jimmy hat."

"At Delta, we loves us some flying... and it be showing like a m*therfu*ker".

;)

Latest resources

Back