Diverted: JetBlue flier 'unruly' because seatmate paid less

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

A cross-country JetBlue flight diverted to Denver after a passenger reportedly became unruly because a flier moved to a seat next to her paid less for the seat.

Passengers on the New York JFK-San Diego flight tell Denver's ABC 7 News that the woman accused of becoming unruly was sitting in JetBlue's "Even More Space" premium seating section. Those seats cost $65 each away on the JFK-San Diego route, according to JetBlue's website.

The woman apparently became agitated when a man who had been seated in the normal, less-expensive area was moved next to her because the TV monitor at his original seat was not working. She apparently became angry that the man didn't have to pay extra for that seat, and she began arguing with the flight crew, according to ABC 7's witnesses.

A federal air marshal on the flight intervened and the flight diverted to Denver.

In a statement, JetBlue confirms to Today in the Sky that the flight diverted "to Denver due to an unruly customer onboard." The airline adds: "The aircraft landed safely at Denver International Airport at 7:15 p.m. local where the customer was met by local enforcement officers."

Citing passenger privacy, JetBlue declined to give any additional specifics about the unruly flier.

The flight landed in continued on to San Diego around 9:30 p.m. local time.

While this woman certainly comes across as petulant, I have seen FAs having to deal with this issue when different seat classes are mingled in the same cabin.

I don't think the FAM did anything. Not for this. Perhaps a LEO or the like, but a FAM won't blow his/her cover for a squabble over a seat.

Some day, if I work really hard and really apply myself, maybe I'll be good enough to fly cargo.

Latest resources

Back