Dispatching...where to go from here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good information

Don't sweet it, we all have been there at one time or another....I know RVSM410....he is a real good guy, never seen a mean bone in his body, he has been through the gambit of airline interviews in search of that magic fit we all seek, I call him the "great interview hunter", as I know of nobody as successful in getting in front of managers than him.
I was lucky and was able to move to my current company just before all the 911 stuff happened.....RVSM just missed it...but he has the 411 on airline interview gouges, POC's etc...

Basically it does not sound like you will be happy with the earning potiential of many of the regional airlines, ASA and Skywest seem to be the tops in that catagory, Express Jet, our connection carrier is also a good fit, and HOU is pretty reasonably priced....As RVSM for the 411 on ExpressJet, you might get the soc manager to look at you, I dont know if they are needing dispatchers, but its a start....

Good hunting....

ASA, Worked for them...good group of people decent pay, I believe starting if now $14.92, ATL is reasonable to live in...not much turn over there yet...I dont have the scoop anyore on the SKywest affects on the department..maybe Homer could help you there...As to hiring they dont lict ADX jobs..you have to know someone, I can help you there, if you need a contact

Here at ASA we have had alot of turnover this last year. Probably 20-30 new dispatch. They just got done with a class a couple of weeks ago, so wait acouple of months and I am sure they will have another. The only downside over here is the pilots contract negotiations. They are refusing ac for minor bs stuff.

skybus

I have applied there already....I think they are really looking for people with at least 3 years experience since they are a new startup. Who knows how long it will be before I find out anything from them. We'll see if they even get off the ground, and then what their stability will be like after that. These are the same people who tried to start Heartland Airlines out of Dayton and it never got off the ground.

Word of advice, please do not move to St. George. If you don't like it before you come, you never will. Not being mean, just being honest. We've seen too many people come in and work for a few months and leave because they couldn't adjust.

More to add on what Homer has already said, this airline is constantly growing so seniority will gain quickly. The pay is definitely not industry-leading, but the benefits are excellent and the abilities we have to trade/drop our shifts/days at a moments notice are also nice. Bidding is done in three month increments and you work 4 10's.

asqmtt said: Here at ASA we have had alot of turnover this last year. Probably 20-30 new dispatch. They just got done with a class a couple of weeks ago, so wait acouple of months and I am sure they will have another. The only downside over here is the pilots contract negotiations. They are refusing ac for minor bs stuff.

ASA had allot of turnover in the last 18 months (lost 14 total - not the mentioned number above). Lost dispatchers to the majors based on the experience of operations ASA provides, which is what the majors look for! The number of dispatchers hired in the last 18 months was 11 - not the stated 20-30. ASA provides good training, ATL living, great flight bennies, good health bennies - if you want to send a resume, send one - be proactive, don't wait for a post on any site!

applying to ASA

I tried looking on their web site. No information on dispatch jobs. Not even information on where you can send in a resume for future consideration. What a bummer.

For the most part, I say take the job where you can get it. If you're a good dispatcher and you keep your nose clean, you can write your own ticket after 2 years, sometimes less. In the grand scheme of things, that is no time at all to live someplace that isn't your dream destination.

Another strategy that would work is: where do you want to be long-term? If you think for example that you want to live in Florida, you can ask the right questions around here to find out that, say AirTran or Spirit tend to hire dispatchers away from the same 4-5 regionals much of the time. There's your short list.

You've already been warned but it bears repeating - this business is a small town. Everyone knows everyone. One phone call or e-mail from a hiring manager to his drinking buddy can make or break your next job. Even the most talented dispatchers out there couldn't get out of paying their dues. On the other hand I've seen plenty who figured they were too good for where they were, and they worked themselves right out of the industry.

Leaders and followers

For the most part, I say take the job where you can get it. If you're a good dispatcher and you keep your nose clean, you can write your own ticket after 2 years, sometimes less. In the grand scheme of things, that is no time at all to live someplace that isn't your dream destination.

Another strategy that would work is: where do you want to be long-term? If you think for example that you want to live in Florida, you can ask the right questions around here to find out that, say AirTran or Spirit tend to hire dispatchers away from the same 4-5 regionals much of the time. There's your short list.

You've already been warned but it bears repeating - this business is a small town. Everyone knows everyone. One phone call or e-mail from a hiring manager to his drinking buddy can make or break your next job. Even the most talented dispatchers out there couldn't get out of paying their dues. On the other hand I've seen plenty who figured they were too good for where they were, and they worked themselves right out of the industry.

I agree with you for the most part (99%), but in this changing world of airlines and cut throat salarys and bennes there are many Dx out there that are just tired of being walked on personally and as a group....Sometimes it only takes a few people to foster changes in the way the HR and Management types think about us, or the future new hires...

There are many syndromes in this business, many attitude of "it's always been done like this" which I feel has contributed greatly to the degradation of the dispatch profession...we all know the dispatch schools will continue to pump up and pump out new licensed dispatchers looking for that 6 figure income at a major airline( Whatever that is anymore) and they know they will have fresh roadkill to abuse and underpay for years, at least thats the way it has always been.....I say it time for these newbies to NOT just take any 121 job that come along.....they need to be educated in the effects they have on their own career and the downstream problems they promote by accepting some of these offers...
Getting back to my original point, I believe there are many current longtime dx'ers that are used to their routine, they paid there dues for a few years under the (current) old way of doing things and this comfort zone tends to make us all followers...followers of the old way, which is is no longer producing the results in pay or progression that we used to have or expected, this is now the bad way for us all. We need a shift in thinking by us and especially the management...
Occasionally these days we hear or see some people that want to effect changes, think outside of the Old box, try to make things better for dispatchers where they work, and even in rare cases for the whole dispatch industry as a whole.....they are not afraid to break the zones of silence, go up against the old way of doing business, ask for a fresh look at better ways, even to their own demise, I call these types the new leaders for change in the dispatch world...I agree some are bad, but many are really good people.

We all know changes are going to happen sooner or later, these people are trying to be apart of how these changes are formed, it may not ever help them in their careers, it may even end their career but maybe it will help the future of those coming....and for those of us that have a long way to go to retirement...I for one applaud them for there moxie It really ashame more don't get on board in this direction.....I am guilty as well....JMHO

As with all things, the right move for you depends on your goals. What are your goals. Then maybe we can provide advice.

Latest resources

Back