Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rvsm410

Hey,

I'm back in the hunt again, tried corporate life for a while, cant do it, I need to get back into aviation. Anyone with any leeds would be greatly appreciated, private email me if you like. [email protected]
Thanks in advance

Anyone know what dispatchers usually make, also how much does it cost to get the dispatch certificate?

My brother in law is a dispatcher with one of the larger regional. He started last year at just over 26k. He loves what he does and has moved up pretty
quick.
He paid just over $3500 total for his ticket. I think he went to Sheffield in Ft Lauderdale. He also says that the competition for dispatch jobs is intense and there are many more dispatchers than there are jobs. You just can't afford to be wishy-washy about being a dispatcher. You either love it or hate it, there really isn't any in-between.
He did alot of checking around to get an idea of salary and other benefits.
He found that most regionals start at about 24 - 27k ann. He applied for some of the majors and was essencially laughed at as they are not looking for anyone right now and if they were, they'd want experience.
Good luck with the job hunt.

That sums it up!

Sky Director said:
My brother in law is a dispatcher with one of the larger regional. He started last year at just over 26k. He loves what he does and has moved up pretty
quick.
He paid just over $3500 total for his ticket. I think he went to Sheffield in Ft Lauderdale. He also says that the competition for dispatch jobs is intense and there are many more dispatchers than there are jobs. You just can't afford to be wishy-washy about being a dispatcher. You either love it or hate it, there really isn't any in-between.
He did alot of checking around to get an idea of salary and other benefits.
He found that most regionals start at about 24 - 27k ann. He applied for some of the majors and was essencially laughed at as they are not looking for anyone right now and if they were, they'd want experience.
Good luck with the job hunt.
I was talking to some dispatch friends and the latest estimate was that there are over 500 licensed "experienced" dispatchers on the street right now, which would include yours truly, and if the majors have a big shake up frm all the BK's running there will be a slew of big time experienced folks looking to start over somewhere at the regional level. All the solid LCC companies have NO plans of near term hirings, or they only hire dispatchers from within Like at SWA.

I would not suggest that anyone go get a dispatch license unless they just want to have an other ticket in the ol wallet. The supply will outstrip the demand for several year in the forseeable future.

I by no means have tons of experience dispatching in comparison to many I have run into at interviews over the last 18 months and I have 3 years of dispatching experience ...its tough finding a gig.

I'm not one to spoil someones hopes and dreams of an aviation career, but I am afraid that the schools are not really painting a realistic picture of the hiring climate at the airlines, they just want those class rooms full of excited students. The bottom line is the schools can promise all the interviews they want, but if your the hiring manager, who would likely choose? A greenie or someone with lots of experience.....Hmmmm

I will say there a few companies that like to hire greenies, Pennical Airlines in MEM come to mind. But for the vast Majority they will hire the best qualified first.

Last edited:
ASA just hired a few dispatchers, not sure if there will be more hiring anytime soon, but you might want to throw them a resume anyway.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back