Dispatchers at Foriegn Carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

En Mort Main

First off not sure of the answer but do most foriegn carriers have dispatchers, or does flight crew prepare paperwork, and what does the paperwork consist of. I'm a dispatcher with an domestic carrier and am curious about work with a foriegn carrier. And i guess the big question is are they actual dispatchers with joint control or are they flight followers and secondary how is pay and work rules.

En Mort Main

It's an interesting question Mort. I'm sure they do but i wonder in what capacity also. Next time I chat with an international friend of mine I'll ask. Is it a specific company you want to know about?
Take care,
Z.

I appreciate the first response. I was not really interested in a specific airline just the capacity in which dispatchers perform their duties. And what i could expect if looking at foreign carriers.
Thank you
En Mort Main

As said previously, it is probably airline specific. At my airline, the dispatchers prepare the flight plans but the captain has sole operational control of the operation. Some of the dispatchers are excellent and "some are not". Errors in the flight planning process are not uncommon and it is up to the crew to find them and correct them.

At my current airline there is no FAA style joint operational control with the captain, he can operate a flight without dispatcher input if he had to.

We mainly prepare and optimize the flightplans. Flight following by dispatchers is almost non-existent and is done by a supervisor.

Each foriegn airline operates according to the rules of it's governing aviation authority. These in turn get guidance and approval from ICAO and/or JAA.

Latest resources

Back