Dispatcher training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good post BadLT..

You are on of those that for what ever reason made it to the majors in record time.. congratulations... the top .5%..

Your advise however futher cements my comments that it will take some real time building along with the right time and right place and persons to make the jump to the big iron.. added to the good attitude and hard work.

I think we all agree to go for it, just have your eyes wide open to the real world of dispatch..

BY justlurkin:

SWA? Only time they have ever hired externally was during the 2007 DX shortage -

Not that it really matters in the long run, but a slight correction...2007 was the first time in 17 years for external hires. We've since hired two more classes that the majority of those hired were externals.

We have a couple of assistants that have yet to upgrade and will need to add another desk or two before that happens (thus another new hire class), I'm guessing.

That also includes taking jobs in crew scheduling or other airlrine openings with the intent to move to dispatch later.. Some companies like Airtran have a problem with that approach.. speaking from experience...

We have furloughed pilots that took jobs in crew scheduling until they get "called up".....sometime in the future. It's been several years and with the continued furloughs it will be many more! This June, we will see another round of furloughs in dispatch. :(

Begining pay here is about 25K. (When I started here it was 20K)

What a depressing thread (sigh). It made me think that if I was ever to go back to where I was, I would start with the same pay as someone with a fresh cert and be at the bottom of the seniority list. Not an appealing situation. We are all trapped in a way. I love "the biz" and have devoted the last 11 years of my life to it, but it is cruel to it's children.

Things change rapidly though. 2007 did see a DX shortage and the company I worked for then had to pay station ops people to go to school to fill the empty seats. Some were good but others could not read a TAF even after their free schooling. During this period of time I saw several co-workers hired by majors and LCCs and I was hired by a major international.

The situation is tough right now with hundreds of apps/position but I think the pendulum is starting to swing back. I personally know several people who have been hired lately at good places.

Because DXers are such a small community, the ups and downs of the supply and demand curve are very steep. It doesn't take much for the balance to be upset. I see good times ahead again in a couple of years.

As for some comments on how employers would rather hire no or low experienced applicants over experienced ones because of a fear the veterans will leave at the first opportunity, I have to throw the BS flag on that one.

Think about it! We are a dime-a-dozen right now and if you, as a decision maker, you had a hundred resumes in front of you, which one would you pick?

I rest my case!

I think it depends on which company is hiring. If it is a regional I see them more leaning toward a new dispatcher. If it is a major or supplemental carrier they will go for experience. Last place I worked they hired both but it depended on the experience in the office. If we had alot of experienced dispatchers they would pick up a new dispatcher. But for the the most part hired experienced dispatchers. I know right now Im frustrated with the job search as it has slowed down in the past month.

What is hurting me is when I have to put my salary down. I wouldn't mind working for a regional for atleast 2 years. But I think once they seen what I made they think I wont start at the bottom again. Have no clue but it would be nice to just interview with them. Im not stuck where I have to make certain amount to live I can start over again. Although I really dont want to I dont have a choice as that is part of the industry.

It is strange industry we are in.. I have been with a large aerospace firm in another life and experience always got paid.. I really dont understand how this situation is so stuck in this thinking.. experience should always be recognized.. I have started over 3 times.. it can be challenging, ya better have a well paid spouse to get the family through it.. or don't have a family...

As to the other points made by Pull to Guns.. I agree on most of your post.. however, I have had the unfortunate experience of being told by a regional that they are looking for green dispatchers to train them in their ways of operation so no bad habits have to be dealt with.. it's no biggie an employer has the right to hire whom they want.. but it does happen once in a while..

It is strange industry we are in.. I have been with a large aerospace firm in another life and experience always got paid.. I really dont understand how this situation is so stuck in this thinking.. experience should always be recognized.. I have started over 3 times.. it can be challenging, ya better have a well paid spouse to get the family through it.. or don't have a family...

As to the other points made by Pull to Guns.. I agree on most of your post.. however, I have had the unfortunate experience of being told by a regional that they are looking for green dispatchers to train them in their ways of operation so no bad habits have to be dealt with.. it's no biggie an employer has the right to hire whom they want.. but it does happen once in a while..

It sounds like that regional was just blowing smoke up your keister. I'll bet there are more green dispatchers that leave within the first year than experienced ones. The responsibility, schedule, pay and other tough aspects of the job can and do overwhelm those that are unfamiliar and new to the biz.

The regional that told you that forgot that us seasoned guys also have some good habits.

As a decision maker, I would rather choose an applicant that has been there and has a feel for the biz. Especially for the same cost (salary) as a newby. That is another subject that just ain't right!!!

Latest resources

Back