• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Disclosures of Unsatisfactory Events in the Past

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Welcome to FI, UndauntedFlyer, where folks like HA25 assume they know things about you they don't and say things they woudn't dare say to your face. I call it cybercourage.

Last edited:
Welcome to FI, UndauntedFlyer, where folks like HA25 assume they know things about you they don't and say things they woudn't dare say to your face. The "aloof" comment was uncalled for.

No... it wasn't.. As evidenced by the fact that he had no idea what's on a pilot job application.

I tried to preface it with not being a jerk!

no accounting for thin skin.... the FI.com phenomenon works both ways.

So why can't you just answer the question without all the insults?

go on and cut and paste where exactly I insulted him.... I merely made an dichotomous observation using a generic example of a few guys I know, if you call that an insult, you need to grow another layer of epidermis. Even Data's comment wasn't an insult. If you can't hold a conversation as an adult and accept a few tough questions, you need to remain away from the internet.

He was very generic in his question, and it came out later after our "insults" what he was geting to... I find that useful when taking the time to answer people's questions.

He gave a direct quote of a question his friend was asked on an airline application and asked if that was typical of airline applications today.

Why did you need his personal background to answer?

He gave a direct quote of a question his friend was asked on an airline application and asked if that was typical of airline applications today.

Why did you need his personal background to answer?

In my case, I was just curious, because only an aloof senior captain wouldn't be able to answer it on his own... That said, I don't care, I wish I were one of those aloof senior captains myself, it's pure envy on my behalf, no insult intended.

Unless this examiner is being very unfair, I for one have no problem weeding those who have no business flying paying passengers in commercial operations well before they get to the cockpit... we need fewer of the AirFrance (Bhonin) and Colgan crew (both of them) getting passed along thru the system... Again, if it's a power trip and an observer can come along and verify it's unfair, then that's different... but I'm also a bit suspicious of 99% pass rates in ANY training programs... even ones where experienced pilots attend, much less students.

One problem in all college programs is that newly minted student instructors are providing much of the training in their Part 141 programs and they are recommending their very first students for phase and certification tests. This is too great a responsibly for such an experience level because, post-Colgan, student failures have become a career jeopardizing event. Unfortunately, it is the student that has the failure on his/her record and the recommending instructor escapes the situation unscarred. Most young instructors that I talk with agree that they are always learning how to become a better instructor; and, they agree that the most difficult part is learning just when a student is ready for solo, phase and certification checks. That's why a validation "training" flight by a much more experienced assistant chief is a good practice.

Regarding insults, trolling and flame-bating: No problem this is FI and that's part of the game and I know it. Members just need to have a thick skin.

Got it. Fyi Im pretty sure phase checks internal to the school do not count as fails only the FAA rides do. But I could be wrong.

Edit: just reread the original quote. It appears im wrong.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back