• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Direction of turns, Uncontrolled airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except for the obvious, obstruction clearance and other runway traffic. What would be the purpose of non standard pattern turns?

Ali

One of the major reasons I've found has to do with noise abatement, particularly if the airport is close to a town or village. I know of 2 airports with 'aircraft haters' who live just to one side of the runway, and pilots are specifically directed not to fly close to these houses.

Forgot this

At some glider ports I know of, glider traffic flies one traffic pattern [ie RHS] and powered ac are requested to fly the other pattern [ie LHS]. ISame also where a runway is co-located with a river/water aerodrome. Those on floats fly on one side and those on wheels fly the other. Wonder if the same sort of traffic separation would apply to drop zones too, depending on where the target is? AWACoff and avbug would probably know about this.

Hello,

As I have posted before about night right hand trafic patterns, I was wrong. I recieved this info from two sources. After the replys on this site I chalenged them to find the right answer for me.

Sure enough in a book published back in 1982 it states that a non standard trafic patter is indicated by a flashing amber light on top of the wind sock pole.

We cant find it in any other source that is newer.... So thanks for correcting me. I learn some thing new every day.

Latest resources

Back