Direct Deposit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HoserASA

Any legal types out there? I was wondering if it's legal for a company, after requiring you to authorize it by signing a form, to access your account and debit erroneous credits made by the company.

One, is it even legal for a company to require this, and two, shouldn't an employee still have the option for DD without granting a company this authorization? And three, are current DDs subject to this without signing the form? Thanks.

Hoser

HoserASA,

I don't think they can access your account, however I think they can deduct debts owed to the Company.

atlcrashpad said:
I don't think they can access your account, however I think they can deduct debts owed to the Company.

That seems to be the way it works at Atlanta's Special Airline. Take the money then send you a memo a week later telling you about their audit.

Are they trying to do something different, Hoser?

HoserASA said:
Any legal types out there? I was wondering if it's legal for a company, after requiring you to authorize it by signing a form, to access your account and debit erroneous credits made by the company.

One, is it even legal for a company to require this, and two, shouldn't an employee still have the option for DD without granting a company this authorization? And three, are current DDs subject to this without signing the form? Thanks.

Hoser

My company screwed up and gave me captain pay. They didn't access my acccount to fix the boo boo, they just adjusted the next paycheck (to almost nothing I might add).

>>>>That seems to be the way it works at Atlanta's Special Airline. Take the money then send you a memo a week later telling you about their audit.
Are they trying to do something different, Hoser?<<<<

That about sums it up. No warning and they access YOUR account. If you don't have the funds in there to cover it, then the bank hits you.

I'm not sure if those of us already under DD will be subjected to this policy. I didn't sign anything granting the company authorization. I may just close my account at DECU, and have the company cut me a check. At least I would have more control, and the company would have to send me a letter demanding payment. Then I could contest it if I felt I was in the right.

So unneccessary......

Hoser
Lost The Vision Many Moons Ago!

HoserASA said:
>>>>That seems to be the way it works at Atlanta's Special Airline. Take the money then send you a memo a week later telling you about their audit.
Are they trying to do something different, Hoser?<<<<

That about sums it up. No warning and they access YOUR account. If you don't have the funds in there to cover it, then the bank hits you.

I'm not sure if those of us already under DD will be subjected to this policy. I didn't sign anything granting the company authorization. I may just close my account at DECU, and have the company cut me a check. At least I would have more control, and the company would have to send me a letter demanding payment. Then I could contest it if I felt I was in the right.

So unneccessary......

Hoser

Call the customer service at your bank. I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be accessing your account.

HoserASA said:

I talked to a Corporate Communications person recently and we had an interesting discussion. I told her that as hard as I tried (not all that hard really), I just couldn't get through the latest "Among Friends" without laughing and/or gagging. It's been the same garbage for the entire time I've been here, with the company paying lip service to the idea of working as a team while (in my opinion) treating us as the enemy. All this "ASA Vision", "One Team, One Vision", crap :)puke: ) doesn't amount to a hill of beans without some company action to back it up.

To her credit she didn't argue the point but just said they are working on changing things. Who knows if it will happen.

And speaking of "Among Friends", how about that story where that Captain held up his flight so the little girl could make it to see her dying mother? Maybe I'm just a bit cynical, but I gotta think that the only reason he didn't get called on the carpet for that one was because the girls uncle (?) wrote a Letter to Delta thanking them. At least that's what I thought when I read the story.

I worked with a former Great Plains captain and this very thing happened to him. Company went TU, and emptied his account. He only had a few bucks in it since he moved the money around right after it was deposited, but they legally yanked money from HIS account.

He warned me of this a couple of years ago when I went 121.

Ya, they can do it if they made a mistake....when you signed the direct deposit agreement, it was written there probably in 2 pt type.......it's a standard thing.....the best thing to do is just make sure the right amount of money is put into your account the day paychecks are given out...if it's wrong (high or low), call the pay people and have them correct it, that way it's not a surprise and you have control of how much they take back........

as for them requiring that you sign up for direct deposit, it's a crock of crap .... just cancel the DD and tell them you don't have a checking account.....they can't do anything about that.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back