Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051115/NEWS01/511150353/1001/NEWS

Official: Plane in fatal crash lacked oil
TOM Alex
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
November 15, 2005

The investigation of a plane crash near Ankeny that killed two Des Moines men last week includes a missing dipstick later found at the airport.

Jim Silliman of the National Transportation Safety Board said oil was significantly depleted in one of the Piper Navajo's two engines when it went down last Tuesday northeast of Des Moines.

But a contributing factor will be the Pilot's failure to maintain directional control of the aircraft.

100LL... Again! said:
Amazing how many pilots have major issues with directional control after engine failure.
it could be denial...at the old place I worked at, they had a pilot fail to feather after a failure in the Seneca after departure at night with some doctors and a heart going to a transplant.

He cleaned a chimney off of a house or hit some playground equipment and wiped out the airplane while turning back to the airport in VMC. Lucky they all walked away from it, but the Seneca was destroyed and the heart was not able to be used in the transplant.

His story was the he dropped the gear early so he could use the landing light to see where he was going. Plus, I don't know why he never feathered, but he didn't. He also claimed the doctor's briefcase was thrown in the console area by the doctor, hitting the fuel valves prior to engine start. I would have taken that thing and threw it in the back with the rest of the staff and said, "Hey, how do you like me now?"

I never bought the "briefcase" excuse anyway...I think he originally landed it in cross-feed to balance out an imaginary fuel imbalance and just forgot to switch it back on the pre-landing checklist. After they re boarded to depart, I'm thinking that he never reset it either...because the feds have never established any reason for the engine to quit. If you think about it, them fuel valves are pretty well protected and they are not that complicated.

100LL... Again! said:
Amazing how many pilots have major issues with directional control after engine failure.

I agree, I pull the engine on my students constantly in a Seneca and always am able to maintain directional control. Every situation is different and I understand that, but maintaining directional control is easy just pull the power on the good engine or at least reduce it.

Latest resources

Back