• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dinnergate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's certainly more than I would have felt justified in spending. But what I would feel justified in spending is probably more than this guy would find acceptable, also. Unless union reps are eating at McDonald's, staying at the HoJo, and hitchhiking to the office, some of these idiots will never be happy.

$100 per person, all in, would be acceptable. Anything above that is going to raise a lot of eyebrows.
$200 per person on booze alone shows a lack of common sense.

If you think being a union rep is so "lavish," you're welcome to run for office.

And then you later "walked back" your snide comments just a little:

It's certainly more than I would have felt justified in spending. But what I would feel justified in spending is probably more than this guy would find acceptable, also. Unless union reps are eating at McDonald's, staying at the HoJo, and hitchhiking to the office, some of these idiots will never be happy.

Regardless, there's a world of difference between "eating at McDonald's," and spending over $400 per person for one friggin' dinner. The fact that you can't even bring yourself to condemn this debacle, and instead all you did was to throw scorn at the member who brought it to the rest of his membership's attention, just shows exactly how out of touch you really are, PCL. Like a lot of hard-core leftists, you believe that you know better than your constituents do about what they need or want, and you'll make sure that's what they get, even if you have to lie or trick them to do it. And because you're "smarter" and "better" than them, you obviously deserve to be wined and dined like a celebrity.

You know, in our union (yes, yes, I know, PCL--in your mind the only real pilot union is ALPA, where officers are considered royalty--so you don't need to mention that again) there's an institutional tenet that union work should neither harm nor enrich a member financially. And yes, we have to work to enforce that now and then, but it's the membership's job to keep them honest. When they do, union officers aren't supposed to snipe at them for pointing wrongdoing out. But since there's apparently no such limiting tenet at ALPA (or APA, it looks like), I guess that explains why you never actually had any interest in actually being a pilot, PCL--it doesn't pay enough for you. Securing a union "lordship" is when you really get to live, right?

Bubba

Last edited:

Why did they then reimburse alpa after having been caught? What were they afraid of?

$100 per person, all in, would be acceptable. Anything above that is going to raise a lot of eyebrows.
$200 per person on booze alone shows a lack of common sense.

I agree. I usually tried to keep it under $100, and was usually able to keep it under $75, even eating at some very nice places. But I usually made everyone buy their own booze and we just covered the food. Made it a lot easier to keep reasonable bills, and then I didn't have to listen to puritans bitching about their money going to alcohol.

Regardless, there's a world of difference between "eating at McDonald's," and spending over $400 per person for one friggin' dinner. The fact that you can't even bring yourself to condemn this debacle, and instead all you did was to throw scorn at the member who brought it to the rest of his membership's attention, just shows exactly how out of touch you really are, PCL.

Condemn? A little harsh of a word, in my opinion. Was it ill-advised? Yes. I'm sure they've learned their lesson and will be more careful in the future. But I don't see 10,000 American pilots stepping up to do a bunch of volunteer work for their fellow pilots, so yes, I do "throw scorn" on people who always worry more about a union rep's meals than they do about thanking them for their service to their fellow pilots.

You know, in our union (yes, yes, I know, PCL--in your mind the only real pilot union is ALPA, where officers are considered royalty--so you don't need to mention that again) there's an institutional tenet that union work should neither harm nor enrich a member financially.

I hate to break it to you, Bubba, but your union treated me to a few rather expensive meals in Dallas back in the early days after the merger was announced. I generally hate Texas, but Dallas does have some excellent steak houses.

And as usual, your view of ALPA is comically incorrect. If you spend more than $75 per person at ALPA, the VP-Finance is all of over your ass. I'd wager that the average meal cost for ALPA is less than the average meal cost for APA or SWAPA.

and then I didn't have to listen to puritans bitching about their money going to alcohol.

Really?! You really feel you're entitled huh. You're the type that line pilots bitch about. I know I know, if I don't like someone like you representing me I should volunteer right? :rolleyes:

Ever notice how ALPA reps seem to gain quite a bit of weight? Fancy meals and booze will do that. :D

I hate to break it to you, Bubba, but your union treated me to a few rather expensive meals in Dallas back in the early days after the merger was announced. I generally hate Texas, but Dallas does have some excellent steak houses.

Standard procedure, before slaughtering a beast you fatten him up.

absit inuria

Latest resources

Back