Different avgas uses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

I know a few people at my airport that fill their Harleys with 100LL at the end of the riding season and say that it stays stable all winter and works a lot better than just adding stablizer. An A&P told me that he only runs Avgas in his outboard motor. Keeps everything from gumming up he said.

Anyone willing to agree or disagree with this advice?

Thanks,

fixer

I agree with it. Avgas is more stable than automotive gasoline and won't leave a residue in fuel systems.

I wouldn't use it in an engine equipped with a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, though. The lead is hard on those.

Burns a little hot for some enignes, eventually it'll feather the valves.

I used to run it 50/50 with mogas in my Fiat... just pulled up to the pump at uncontrolled airports. :) If I recall correctly, 100LL has about twice the tetraethyl lead of leaded auto fuel. I've run it straight in some other engines, tends to foul spark plugs. And it will kill a cat converter. The major reason for using leaded fuel in older engines (besides the superior anti-knock properties) is the extra lubrication it provides to the valve guides. Avgas also does not contain alcohols and Methyl tertbutyl ether (added to auto gas for emission control), and thus does not break down as quickly, nor does it react negatively with gaskets, seals and hoses made from natural rubbers and cork.

Kevski said:
The major reason for using leaded fuel in older engines (besides the superior anti-knock properties) is the extra lubrication it provides to the valve guides.

Urban ledgend alert,

Lead does not lubricate ANYTING.

Also it dosen't run any hotter or cooler than regualr mogas.

The lead is mearly an antiknock additive, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortuantely it is the only substance that works in our ancient (design wise) airplane engines.

Since Harley engines are basicly identical to airplane engines they should do fine with Avgas. The "added stability" has much more to do with not having ethenol, ect, than having the lead. You might have to clean the plugs once in a while though.

Most race cars running around the dirt tracks also use it.

DO NOT use it in any modern car! Driving it off a cliff would be a simpler wy to destroy your engine. Ingectors will be pluged, sparkplugs will fail, your emissions systems will turn to junk, ect.

Latest resources

Back