"Died doing what he loved"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

I swear if anyone says that about me after I crash, I will roll so hard and fast in my grave that I will drill a hole to China.
I am so sick of hearing that said about pilots who have died. Why do people say that? Am I so twisted to think it is stupid?

If I auger in, please say: "He enjoyed the many hours he was given in the air. He understood and accepted the risks. He really wanted to just die in his sleep like everyone else; but this is the way it is."

He died doing what he loved best. Crap!

Like the old joke about the airline pilot who died peacefully in this sleep, not screaming all the way down like his passengers

Coping mechanism, I guess.

It bugs me too. I sure as heck don't want to die in an airplane, but I accept that it is a possibility. Many better and more experienced pilots than I am, have.

Now, if I died of a freak aneurism or something, in between a couple of naked hot chicks on the beach while drinking rum, Coronas and various other cocktails, THEN people could say, "he died doing what he loved," and I might decide not to come back and haunt them. :D

Well, I love to fly. I don't love to crash. So if I died in a plane crash, I wouldn't die doing what I love.

Yeah, but if you HAD to die at work, would you rather it be of a heart attack or boredom in a cubicle or in an airplane? I'd sure choose the airplane.

I'm kind of partial to Curly's eulogy in "City Slickers". "Here he is God. Try not to piss him off."

I agree completely. I also agree that it is a coping mechanism for the survivors. Nobody wants to think of their loved one dying in sheer terror. YOu never hear a CVR or read a transcript that ends with "Oh well, at least I love doing this".

Personally I want to go quietly in my sleep. Thats what I love doing.

AND I used to love that McGee poem, High Flight.
No longer, thanks to conspicuous over-use. I'll find another one they can use, there's lots out there.

BTW, it will be a huge wake at my place. Great food, cool music, dancing, good looking gals, everybody having a grand ol time. (and catered. No cleaning up after.) A continuous fly-by done by all my friends with dozens of planes, all types. "Airplane" playing on the big screen. Kids running around with model airplanes, others flying R/C off the lawn. Yeah, that's it.

Latest resources

Back