Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Fins,

2. They fought for scope that actually saved many many jobs after 9-11. If it were up to Fred Reid---we would have had 1000 RJs by now--large and small---and many more would have been out of work. That scope restriction kept people at mainline.
Jeeeesssh! Wrong, wrong wrong and WRONG!

If your MEC had not killed the PID, every one of those RJ's would have been flown by Delta pilots, on the Delta seniority list and the company could deploy the best airplane for making a profit on the route where it was needed.

As you point out :

General Lee said:
As far as what will happen with future 100 seaters (even though Grinstein didn't put much faith in them---stating instead the need for more larger aircraft to bring down the CASM)---
And Grinstein is correct Delta needs bigger airplanes, but your scope gives them a huge financial incentive to run gass guzzling ( for their capacity ) RJ's.

When will those morons that you elect realize that scope that controls pilots is more effective, as well as better for the company, than scope that controls airplanes. There is no economic, moral, or legal justification for the scope policies of your MEC. Your MEC's failed policies only serve to (1) continue ALPA apartied, so your members may feel "superior" and (2) provide a route to Delta flying for military pilots ( who I guess are going to get PIC at Airtran before Delta ever hires them).

Remember - one list would have been perfect scope. All Delta flying done by Delta pilots. Not a single Delta pilot job would have been lost. So no, I don't hate who your MEC is, but I despise what they have done to a union and a company that I am a part of.

~~~^~~~

Does TK still feel ALPA Apartied is the right way to go?

~~~^~~~ said:

And Grinstein is correct Delta needs bigger airplanes, but your scope gives them a huge financial incentive to run gass guzzling ( for their capacity ) RJ's.

That is total crap. Our scope clause does not encourage or discourage RJs. They can fly as many or as few of any type of aircraft that they want, the only caveat being they have to fly anything beyond our scope limits at Delta. What encourages them to fly gas guzzling Rjs is not our scope, its the rest of our contract. We are too expensive, plain and simple. Once our costs are in line, there will be less incentive to fly RJs and they can go back to the aircraft they want to fly. Keep in mind, Delta only outsources the RJs because you do it cheaper, not because the contract allows it. If we did it cheaper (we being the entire company, not just the pilots) there would be no outsourcing of Rjs.

1060 Furloughs

What concerns me most is after reading Generals and other mainlines post concerning G's meetings, it has become clear that the chances of getting any of those individuals already furloughed back is almost non existent. It seems that it is a given at this point and DALPA will now try to minimize the loss of any more. A few moons ago, I posted some info given to me by our senior ALPA reps. In it, I stated that an additional 1200 furloughs were being discussed. General shot this down stating that was only in work concessions, not real people. It seems as if our senior ALPA reps were correct that Delta was requesting an additional 1200 or so. They also stated that Delta did not want to place 100 seaters on mainline property and wanted them on the DCI certificate (with possible mainline guys at the helm), and this was also instantly shot down. From the road show info, it looks as if these observations are becoming more factual as time goes by. Another item that was supposedly discussed was the eventual phase out of non WO's and all Delta flying with in the Delta family over a 10 year period. I can’t see this happening due to current financing problems and massive growth problems that would occur within Delta and ASA/Comair. I don't think Delta can afford to purchase all of the aircraft required to replace ACA, Chitaco, and Skywest. I can forsee some sort of attempt for a J4J protocol pushed on the non WO's or possibly an alter ego subsidiary like Mid Atlantic on one of the WO's certificate. I was also told that ASA/Comair MEC's were now working closely with the DALPA MEC concerning these issues. With one list as virtually non existent, it will be interesting to see how DALPA reacts in the next few months and how they may react if threatened with BK. I hope things work out well for them while not stepping all over the little guys. This is a perfect time for DALPA to take charge and get with the flow in the industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back