• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL's MAD WORLD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I were to offer just one word of advice to my friends and both UPS and FedEX, it would be this;

"Don't think for one minute that what happened to DHL's pilots can't happen to your own"[/quote]

Well then if that is the case, it would have a ripple effect far larger than just DHL's demise, it would affect many companies and businesses in this country that would be clamoring for reliable package delivery that we provide now; and that ain't gonna happen.

"Don't think for one minute that what happened to DHL's pilots can't happen to your own"[/quote]

DHL, Airborne, et al, were always on the periphery looking in on the big boys. You didn't have the commitment nor the money to play on the same level of FDX or UPS, DPWN realized this and pulled the plug.

If I were to offer just one word of advice to my friends and both UPS and FedEX, it would be this;

"Don't think for one minute that what happened to DHL's pilots can't happen to your own"

Well then if that is the case, it would have a ripple effect far larger than just DHL's demise, it would affect many companies and businesses in this country that would be clamoring for reliable package delivery that we provide now; and that ain't gonna happen.[/quote]You're assuming that contractors could not or would not provide the level of service that dedicated, in-house employees can. That is a false assumption.

UPS and FedEx both provide essentiallly the same service, the difference being that UPS uses "employees," while FedEx relies heavily on "independent contractors" to handle the actual deliveries. They both provide a similar level of service to their customers, so much so that you wouldn't know which is which unless you ask. (which I always do)

The problem DHL had with IC's wasn't so much the fact that they were IC's, it was the fact that they were unwilling to spend the money to get good ones.

I

"Don't think for one minute that what happened to DHL's pilots can't happen to your own"

Whistlin Dan,

I would agree with you there. I'm sure UPS runs these ideas around all the time. The day it becomes more profitable for them to do it they will.

I saw the ad today in the Sun-Sentinel from ALPA decrying the DHL deal. What seems to be lost in all this is how little the air side of the equation had to do with any of this.
DHL basically gave up on developing the US market and the deal with UPS is just short of saying, we are done here, we give up to the others, see you altogether.
This business starts on the streets and in perception of delivery capability. No offense, but to the customer he does not care whether it got there by 747 or 172, by truck, car, or boat, by rail or wish.
That ad was a total waste of ALPA dollars except to make some flightcrews think they are doing something.

That ad was a total waste of ALPA dollars except to make some flightcrews think they are doing something.

Incorrect. That ad was paid by MY 15 years of ALPA dues. My union is doing exactly what it has always said it would do; "ALPA speaks for me. And I tell them what to say."

Thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

FAJ

The Astar ALPA pilots choose to stand and fight. The ads are a part of this battle. The Astar picket in front of the DHL U. S. Headquarters in Plantation, Florida (where pilots from five other airlines joined us) is another action that just happened today. There will be many more to come.

The DHL/UPS deal is clearly fraught with anti-trust issues. We obviously would not have the large number of politicians and the State Attorney General involved if there were not at least the appearance of a strong anti-trust case against the deal.

The Astar pilots have mapped out a plan of attack to scuttle the deal by emphasizing and publicizing the numerous negative aspects of DHL's planned annihilation of an entire Midwestern U. S. town. We are being proactive and aggressive.

There is no chance of wooing DHL back with concessions - we know that. Their history of cataclysmic blunders and catastrophic business decisions has rendered a once proud and innovative U. S. born corporation impudent and defeated in the U. S. market.

That is not to say, however, that they could not resurrect a niche position in the U. S. to serve their vast global network. Fedex and UPS may be pulling at the reins to go global, but DHL has had strong, seasoned, and successful airlines with hundreds of aircraft in many, many far reaches of the world for many years, now. It will be quite a while before Fedex and UPS can create any meaningful market share against an domestic airline staffed with domestic crews in Bahrain, Germany, England, Hong Kong, Panama, etc., etc. DHL has been there and doing that successfully since the 80's and they make quite a lot of money in their non U. S. delivery business. In order to support this offshore business, they NEED a U. S. presence. Maybe not much of one, but they need it nonetheless.

Since Joe Hete did not invite Astar to be part of his "new" save-DHL-in-the-U.S. plan, Astar has been left to our own devices.

We intend to protect our recently signed contract that DHL was party to and inherit this flying.

The Astar ALPA pilots choose to stand and fight. The ads are a part of this battle. The Astar picket in front of the DHL U. S. Headquarters in Plantation, Florida (where pilots from five other airlines joined us) is another action that just happened today. There will be many more to come.

The DHL/UPS deal is clearly fraught with anti-trust issues. We obviously would not have the large number of politicians and the State Attorney General involved if there were not at least the appearance of a strong anti-trust case against the deal.

The Astar pilots have mapped out a plan of attack to scuttle the deal by emphasizing and publicizing the numerous negative aspects of DHL's planned annihilation of an entire Midwestern U. S. town. We are being proactive and aggressive.

There is no chance of wooing DHL back with concessions - we know that. Their history of cataclysmic blunders and catastrophic business decisions has rendered a once proud and innovative U. S. born corporation impudent and defeated in the U. S. market.

That is not to say, however, that they could not resurrect a niche position in the U. S. to serve their vast global network. Fedex and UPS may be pulling at the reins to go global, but DHL has had strong, seasoned, and successful airlines with hundreds of aircraft in many, many far reaches of the world for many years, now. It will be quite a while before Fedex and UPS can create any meaningful market share against an domestic airline staffed with domestic crews in Bahrain, Germany, England, Hong Kong, Panama, etc., etc. DHL has been there and doing that successfully since the 80's and they make quite a lot of money in their non U. S. delivery business. In order to support this offshore business, they NEED a U. S. presence. Maybe not much of one, but they need it nonetheless.

Since Joe Hete did not invite Astar to be part of his "new" save-DHL-in-the-U.S. plan, Astar has been left to our own devices.

We intend to protect our recently signed contract that DHL was party to and inherit this flying.

So what are the clear anti-trust issues? The politicians are in it just to get their names in the news and so that they can say this November, after the deal with UPS is done, that they TRIED their best.

I don't think he had to invite Astar. We already know ABX can't haul every market DHL has. While I don't know what the plan would say, my bet is that it is something along the lines of "here is what we can do for you, how we can do it, how much we would charge and how it would be to your advantage". The rest DHL would fill in with what their network would provide. DHL owns 49% of Astar for all sakes. I think DHL already knows what it can and can't do with what it already owns.

Think of the plan as more of a sales call rather than how you are thinking of a plan. I could be wrong, but there is no indication it is any different than just that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back