• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL-What's going to happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DHL USA made the mistake to use americans in management positions. Or anybody knows our management is incapable to manage but very capable to steal and destroy every company.

What planet did you spin off of? Every US company is being destroyed? I thought UPS was doing ok as well as GE and a few others. Explain please.

I just shipped three ground packages this afternoon, so I'll let everyone know what happens on Monday. One was only going to columbus, so that doesn't count, but one was going to Florida and the other to Mississippi. Come on overnight shipping!

I just shipped three ground packages this afternoon, so I'll let everyone know what happens on Monday. One was only going to columbus, so that doesn't count, but one was going to Florida and the other to Mississippi. Come on overnight shipping!

Do you work for Astar or ABX?

No sir, not at this time. I do work in the hoot and I do work in Aviation, but not with any of the DHL contractors.

You get a great rate for shipping is the reason I asked. Our option for shipping DHL sucks. You have to do it online and the rates.....did I mention the rates suck. Oh yea, we can't ship ground as an ABX employee.

So its a no brainer I am a regular at my local Post Office. When KILN was Airborne it was better service, better rates, and the people over in logistics were nice. So my money supports USPS, no sweat.

What planet did you spin off of? Every US company is being destroyed? I thought UPS was doing ok as well as GE and a few others. Explain please.

Just because UPS, GE and few others are OK for now, it doesn't mean many athers were not screwed by bad management decisions. Eastern, PanAm, Emery, KHA and many others. I have a feeling companies such AA, UAL, NWA don't do very well with their management.
If you would have asked someone, the day before Enron going away how the company was doing, you might have gotten very surprising answers.
Look at management salaries and our country's economical situation.
Many companies are OK but the problem is too many companies don't do very well when with little better management the situation would be much better

I find the DHL online tool pretty easy to use. The rates are good, they don't seem to care when I use the free supplies for ground shipments, and as I said before, almost guaranteed to be overnighted. Their billing department sucks, but that's another issue.

You cannot fly GROUND FREIGHT. The added weight and additional fuel burn means YOU WILL LOSE MONEY. This has been a huge thorn in DHL's side and they are going to fix it.

You cannot fly GROUND FREIGHT. The added weight and additional fuel burn means YOU WILL LOSE MONEY. This has been a huge thorn in DHL's side and they are going to fix it.

Not necessairily so. Depends on what you are charging for both the ground and air, which determines your margins, and how much ground you are moving by air. It's called yield management. There is no doubt that moving ground by air will reduce your profit margin though, and if you do enough of it, you will lose money.

Also, if you are going to ferry an aircraft from A to B on a regular basis, you might as well put the ground on it rather than hire a truck to haul the ground from A to B, so long as the added fuel costs are less than the cost of hiring the truck. This is true of any ground freight you have so long as the airplane is going to fly anyway.

This does not mean this is a good way to run the business. It would be far better to find a way to move the inbound freight to A without having to ferry the empty aircraft back to B. Perhaps sell some additional customers on the air side, or increase the ground freight to the point where trucking it makes sense. Neither will happen overnight (no pun intended) and service reliability must increase for either to occur.

A few years ago when Fedex was just starting to offer ground service, most of the stuff going to and from the west coast was flown. This was because on the wast coast they did not have an effective ground network in place. With in 1 year, they trucks were in place and the freight was trucked.

The difference between the Fedex and DHL situations is for Fedex it was a temporary solution while the network was being built. For DHL it is standard practice with no real evidence of a real ground network being built.

Latest resources

Back