• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL to consolidate ops in Wilmington, OH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think this bodes well for the future of ABX.

I suspect that as the consolidation nears completion, the need for the feeders (at least thoses currently serving Astar) will grow less and less. The most vulnerable will be the cities that are currently being serviced by ABX.

Why would they cut out feeder routes? I'm just curious...you'd think that wouldn't change much, since feeders are kind of like the low cost end of the freight market.

And I ain't cutting down feeder flying, that's what I do for a living.

It would not seem logical to continue servicing markets with feeders that presently are served by the larger jets. For example: BVT, FAR, DSM, CID. All served by a metro feeding DHL in CVG and also by a DC-9 going to ILN. Once consolidation is completed, that freight could be absorbed by the jets. Hopefully, the feeders will be redirected to new markets that may arise from all of the advertising that DHL plans. This is my opinion only.

I move freight for DHL and mainly carry what doesn't fit on ABX. It's still enough to keep the run for now but who knows what will happen. There has been talk about my run going going away for almost a year now. I have heard that they may just change my route a bit and still keep me at the same out station. I hope that's the case. I just don't want to move any more.

As far as we're concerned...

At Astar, we're not too happy about being jerked around again by DHL but we've adapted to the DOT, spin offs, etc. We'll adapt to this too. And the next round...and the next round.

**** happens.

Cya in ILN.

As a furloughed pilot, I don't want to see anyone lose work. In my opinion, I think the feeders are going away. DHL has two airlines flying for it, they don't want anymore. If you could have two airlines instead of a dozen doing the work, wouldn't you? I have seen the Astar ramp at night and there are a ton of feeders from single pipers to 747's at times. I think the first to go will be the larger planes, and then on down to the smaller stuff. Astar and ABX are going to go after this work in the future, especially as the freight grows and DHL's marketing and growth strategies begin to work. The up side is that I really think there will be hiring at both carriers as we fly more freight. Our current market share is 6%, so a double of our freight would only give us 12% of the market, very attainable.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back