• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL on CNBC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think DHL will be taking UPS international once you guys fly it to DHL gatways abroad in the near future. If you watch Mullen in that CNBC video, when asked that question, he gulps a "we are not talking about that right now" response.

Funny... I read it exactly the other way. Mullen clearly is on board with the concept of "capacity sharing", as he calls it, and left open the possibility intl DHL volume might be outsourced in the future to UPS.

Given the HUGE investments UPS is making in international infrastructure (sorts in Shanghai, Shenzen most recently), purchasing local delivery services all over Asia and branding them brown... I highly doubt UPS intends to bypass their own investments/infrastructure and outsource... but one never knows.

BBB

They will be flying UPS freight in Europe and Asia. This deal is setting up to be much bigger than just the US. And no pilot group, even the IPA, will be able to stop it.
Ok, we'll just scrap our scope protection then... :cool:

I think that UPS needed extra volume due to the slowing economy while DHL needed extra lift to offload their money losing parts of the US business - it’s a marriage of convenience. Once the economy improves and we need the space ourselves, and/or once DHL finds a permanent solution to their 'lift equation' this marriage will be dissolved in a heart beat... Then again, tomorrow we all might be flying for Great Wall Airlines...

Off the subject - a buddy of mine who flies for SAS said he overheard a couple of DHL pilots in Europe (they spoke in German) worrying about some of their jobs going to an Indian Airline that DHL controlled...

Last edited:
Funny... I read it exactly the other way. Mullen clearly is on board with the concept of "capacity sharing", as he calls it, and left open the possibility intl DHL volume might be outsourced in the future to UPS.

Given the HUGE investments UPS is making in international infrastructure (sorts in Shanghai, Shenzen most recently), purchasing local delivery services all over Asia and branding them brown... I highly doubt UPS intends to bypass their own investments/infrastructure and outsource... but one never knows.

BBB

And Astar thought the same when the new sort in CVG was dumped for ILN. Everyone thought the same when DHL dumped over a billion into ILN. As worker bees, we never know what these suits are thinking. All I know anymore is ask yourself if you cost more than the other guys. If you do, don't unpack. Very irrational no matter how you slice it. Another good reason for me to say goodbye to professional aviation. These guys are CRAZY! :nuts:

... As worker bees, we never know what these suits are thinking. All I know anymore is ask yourself if you cost more than the other guys. If you do, don't unpack. Very irrational no matter how you slice it. Another good reason for me to say goodbye to professional aviation. These guys are CRAZY! :nuts:
Very true and you just never know. However, UPS just celebrated their 100 year anniversary in August of 2007 - it's a company that's absolutely paranoid about doing things ITS way and no other way! This need for control which we normally joke about might be a good thing for us in this particular instance...

BBB

BBB,

I'm not picking on you guys. DHL has a network that rivals Purple/Brown outside of the US. Just a theory. All you have to do is look at Astar's history to know that when a big deal comes down the pike, scope isn't squat. (Not trying to stir anything up ABX guys. Just trying to illuminate to the UPS crowd that paper means nothing in a multibillion dollar deal.)

Very true and you just never know. However, UPS just celebrated their 100 year anniversary in August of 2007 - it's a company that's absolutely paranoid about doing things ITS way and no other way! This need for control which we normally joke about might be a good thing for us in this particular instance...

Oh I know, I have a few friends at UPS. The funny part is I don't think DHL understand the UPS business practices. If they think they will have a yellow jersey shadowing a UPS supervisor.....HA!......which they do to the ABX supervisors, they will be in for a surprise. I doubt UPS will even let them in the sort. :laugh:

According to the guy in pilot recruitment at UPS, the guys in the pool should all be getting a call "within a couple of months". Timeframe from call to class was not disclosed.

Hope it's true.

Good luck to you!

BBB,

I'm not picking on you guys. DHL has a network that rivals Purple/Brown outside of the US. Just a theory. All you have to do is look at Astar's history to know that when a big deal comes down the pike, scope isn't squat. (Not trying to stir anything up ABX guys. Just trying to illuminate to the UPS crowd that paper means nothing in a multibillion dollar deal.)

Man, you are really bitter aren't you?

Like the IPA has anything to do with this. Get off our backs.

Man, you are really bitter aren't you?

Like the IPA has anything to do with this. Get off our backs.

Hardly. I'm merely trying to give you guys a heads up, based on our experiences. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back