DHL Is Not Budging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is for the astar guys.
Is it true that you have a language in your contract that will gaurantee you 2 yrs worth of pay if dhl take thier business else where and shuting down astar? I hope it's true and if it is, good job to whoever negotiated this language.

If there is such language, it won't matter one bit. The Co. will just banko and void that portion (and many others) of the contract. Having lived through it a few times, It's never good. Good luck to all and I hope I'm wrong.

This is for the astar guys.
Is it true that you have a language in your contract that will gaurantee you 2 yrs worth of pay if dhl take thier business else where and shuting down astar? I hope it's true and if it is, good job to whoever negotiated this language.

That is true, and to the other poster, since DHL has to purchase all our a/c back, and AAC has over 100 million in the bank, not counting other securities, bk is going to be a rather hard thing to pull off. Even in Bushie times.

That is true, and to the other poster, since DHL has to purchase all our a/c back, and AAC has over 100 million in the bank, not counting other securities, bk is going to be a rather hard thing to pull off. Even in Bushie times.
Great. I'm glad you guys have that goin for you, atleast this will take some pressure of you during this tough times.

There is no "severance package" if that's what you're asking. There were 2 years of furlough protection built into the contract, but the clock started running on that last March. In addition, there were conditions and stipulations built into that which left Astar an "out" under certain circumstances. Expect them to exploit that to the max in the coming weeks and months. They'll move as many assets offshore and into other companies that don't fall under the CBA as possible, then pull the plug.

OR...the major stockholders (there are 4, none of whom has shown much interest in the pilots as a group) may wake some night as if from a bad dream. Like Ebenezer Scrooge, they will realize the error of their ways and just give the pilots whatever money is in the bank, "because it's Christmas, and because it's the right thing to do"

Personally, I'm voting with pilotpm on this one.

There is no "severance package" if that's what you're asking. There were 2 years of furlough protection built into the contract, but the clock started running on that last March. In addition, there were conditions and stipulations built into that which left Astar an "out" under certain circumstances. Expect them to exploit that to the max in the coming weeks and months. They'll move as many assets offshore and into other companies that don't fall under the CBA as possible, then pull the plug.

OR...the major stockholders (there are 4, none of whom has shown much interest in the pilots as a group) may wake some night as if from a bad dream. Like Ebenezer Scrooge, they will realize the error of their ways and just give the pilots whatever money is in the bank, "because it's Christmas, and because it's the right thing to do"

Let's see Dan, aka Jim.... You're not an employee of Astar, so that means you don't have a copy of the CBA, nor were you privy to any of the negotiations since you were not an employee.

So one again you're speculating, and eager to see our pilot's get screwed over as if somehow it will justify your failings and termination.

Sad. Just really sad.

Let's see Dan, aka Jim.... You're not an employee of Astar, so that means you don't have a copy of the CBA, nor were you privy to any of the negotiations since you were not an employee.

So one again you're speculating, and eager to see our pilot's get screwed over as if somehow it will justify your failings and termination.

Sad. Just really sad.
We can clear this up pretty quickly. Show me where you see "language in your contract that will gaurantee you 2 yrs worth of pay if dhl take thier business else where and shuting down astar?" [sic] Where is the language that holds those funds separate in the event of a bankruptcy?

I'd do it myself, but I can't find it. Whoops, I mean "I don't have a copy of the contract"

Find it, and I will make a public retraction on this forum, and ask the moderator to remove my previous post.

Wow...how insightful coming from someone who can't set an alarm clock and make into work on time. How many no-shows did it take for them to finally can your ass at DHL Airways/Astar anyway? I heard five.

We can clear this up pretty quickly. Show me where you see "language in your contract that will gaurantee you 2 yrs worth of pay if dhl take thier business else where and shuting down astar?" [sic] Where is the language that holds those funds separate in the event of a bankruptcy?

I'd do it myself, but I can't find it. Whoops, I mean "I don't have a copy of the contract"

Find it, and I will make a public retraction on this forum, and ask the moderator to remove my previous post.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS LIAR.

For what it's worth, Whistln' Dan is a former DHL Airways pilot who was fired several times for just blowing off work too many times to count. During our previous contract negotiations, our negotiators had to barter with the company to get "Dan" his job back. We ended up giving a huge pay concession to recover his job - a gesture that he NEVER ONCE acknowledged or thanked ANY pilot for. He was always a weak pilot (I've flown with him) and he was finally terminated once and for all for failing a checkride (with the FAA on board) after many, many restarts.

I have no idea what he is doing now other than waiting for our union to get his job back - again - while he sits on his tailpipe and insults the very people who gave him too many chances to count.

I really do not believe in personal flames on message boards (I've never done this before and never will again) and have tolerated Dan's (not his real name, obviously) rants and half baked opinions for a long time, now. But when he flames his former fellow pilots about actions of which he has absolutely NO information, I'm drawing the line. He is shooting from the hip and has shot himself in the nuts in the process this time.

"Dan", I know you are unemployed and have nothing better to do than continuously stick you nose into other peoples business where it does not belong but you really need to go find a job and get a life. There are important ideas and constructive messages that pilots want to share here. You are neither important, nor constructive, nor a pilot - so STFU.

Again, I don't condone personal flames and have been extremely tolerant of this guy until now. It's one thing when a pilot from one airline defames a pilot from another. Not nice, but tolerable when you realize the context.

I draw the line when a thankless leach ignorantly draws blood from those who have done the most to help him.

Wow...how insightful coming from someone who can't set an alarm clock and make into work on time. How many no-shows did it take for them to finally can your ass at DHL Airways/Astar anyway? I heard five.
Actually, the company pretty much has to fire you at "3" within a 12-month period, since that's what it says in their employee handbook. If they let it go to "5" then "5" is the new number, which they're NOT gonna do. So "3" it is. You get to "3" and you're gone. NOBODY can save you, UNLESS...an arbitrator determines that it was the company's fault that you missed one or more of those assignments.

Usually, most ethical companies know when they've screwed up, and are willing to admit it. But when there is a "no-furlough" clause in the CBA, most of your International flying has been outsourced, and there is severe pressure from upstairs to "cut costs no matter what" it becomes easier just to fire guys. All you need is an egotistical, eager-to-please doofus in the CP's office to write it up, and you've just saved your company about $200,000/yr. Under the RLA, the second-worst possible outcome from their perspective is that they will lose the arbitration and have to pay the guy what he had coming anyway. Even if that's a strong possibility, they'll go to arbitration anyway, because what they save on his medical insurance will cover most of their legal expense.

But hey, it's your story, not mine, and I hate to get in the way of a guy's story. Make it any number you want to. "5" is good, but "8" is even better. Why not round it up to "10" and then you won't have to change it for a while.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back