• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Stupid question:

Is ABX the old Airborne Express? Are they now owned by DHL? Just trying to get an idea of the DHL/ABX relationship........

Close. ABX Air is the same airline that was owned by Airborne Express. ABX Air is now a publicly owned company that was spun off from the buyout of the ground operations by DHL. DHL cannot own a U.S. airline.

ABX Air and Astar Air Cargo are the two largest providers of lift to DHL in the U.S.

Yeah we,ABX Air Inc., are the old Airborne Express. Our alleged relationship with DHL is that they're our best customer, but it's strictly arms length. Don't know how long the arm is. Still a great place to work.
What the hell is a Marine grunt doing wearing a blue suit rather than Dress Blues? Trying to beef up the gene pool?

scarface said:
Yeah we,ABX Air Inc., are the old Airborne Express. Our alleged relationship with DHL is that they're our best customer, but it's strictly arms length. Don't know how long the arm is. Still a great place to work.
That clears it up a little. I wasn't sure if it was a Delta/Comair (owned) type of thing or a Delta/SkyWest (customer) thing. I sent in an application for a job at ABX (non-flying) and wanted to get the low down.
scarface said:
What the hell is a Marine grunt doing wearing a blue suit rather than Dress Blues? Trying to beef up the gene pool?
Was on the fast track to fly for the Corps, but I chose the guard instead for family reasons. One of the hardest things I ever had to do. Especially since I never got to kill a single POS terrorist. :uzi: :eek: Ah well....

Jurassic Jet said:
Close. ABX Air is the same airline that was owned by Airborne Express. ABX Air is now a publicly owned company that was spun off from the buyout of the ground operations by DHL. DHL cannot own a U.S. airline.

ABX Air and Astar Air Cargo are the two largest providers of lift to DHL in the U.S.

A foreign company can own up to 25% of domestic airline, which DHL does with ABX Air. PRes. Bush is looking to sign a new law that would up the percentage that a foreign company can own in U.S. companies.

IFlyFL410 said:
A foreign company can own up to 25% of domestic airline, which DHL does with ABX Air. PRes. Bush is looking to sign a new law that would up the percentage that a foreign company can own in U.S. companies.

The only company that DHL has ever owned a portion of in the US is Astar. (Formerly DHLAirways.) DHL does not have a stake in either Astar or ABXA. Both airlines were spun off by their respective companies when the merger between ABX and DHLE occured. Ain't it grand?

Does anyone have a number for HR at ABX? I'm trying to follow up on my application, the the 866-ABX-JOBS number is not working.

At the risk of another stupid question, would working for ABX (non-flying) harm my chance later on of getting hired at UPS or FedEx?

MarineGrunt said:
Does anyone have a number for HR at ABX? I'm trying to follow up on my application, the the 866-ABX-JOBS number is not working.

ABX isn't hiring right now. Apparently they are accepting resumes, but not sending out any applications. Rumors of hiring next year, but who knows?

T-Gates said:
He's not applying for a pilot position....

Ahhh, gotcha.

Latest resources

Back