DHC-6 co-pilot Scenic Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
some answers

I filled out their application the day I hit 600 hours. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to hear back?

-impossible to predict "how long" before a call as applicant selection is mostly subjective and qualitative after flight minimums are achieved.

Do you know if they are taking people directly into the left seat if they have Twin Otter experience?

-not currently hiring street captains although you should still apply, especially if you are a previous co. employee.

anyone know off hand what scenic pay is like ??

-DHC-6 F/O starting pay is approx. $6-7 for ground time and $12-13 for flight time per hour, upgrade time in about 1 year.

Go for it you will be logging turbine MEL SIC 1000 hours of that and you are 135 IFR qualified. Then you will have the resume fluff to move to the next job. However unless they have changed how they fly your instrument skills will get rusty, VFR only flying and what I remember pay is low

-DHC-6 operations are under Part 121 (not 135). It is mostly VFR, however IFR is challenging as there is no autopilot and with no pressurization the planes usually fly in solid IMC among lower cloud layers with ice in the winter months.

Any training contract?

-There is a 1 year training contract, pro-rated if you leave. It is currently between $5-7K and changes occasionally based on actual costs. Some people make the huge mistake of leaving in the middle of their contract and then not paying it off. Then they are subject to civil suit and possibly one day when the HR department calls for a reference from that big job at a major...oops.

Also, any chance they would consider someone with 326 PIC, but with 250 turbine, 320 multi, 3 type ratings and military flight time?

The online application wouldn't even let me try it without 400PIC.

-400 PIC and 600 TT minimum is required and not flexible. Applicants who "round" or "estimate" upwards on the application have been permanantly disqualified from employment.

I fly out of Northtown which is where Scenic is based, they are planning a move to BLD anyone know when? Last I heard was June then July then August then maybe not ever. From what I hear which could be totally wrong is 12-15 an hour and get ready to wake up early.

-Moving the tour operation (DHC-6) to 61B scheduled for 07/06. Days are long in the busy summer tour season, expect to be an early riser as 5am showtimes are the average.

Last edited:
I worked at Scenic last year. It's a good company, they treat their employees well, they give you free lunch everyday. The pay was $13.50/hr flight, and $6.75/hr ground time, but they recently had a pay raise. Upgrade time depends on the which season it is and how many capts they need. Last summer they hired street captains, but I don't know about this year. I know guys who upgraded in 3 months and others that upgraded in 15 months.
All the DHC-6 flying is FAR 121. Only their C402s are on the 135 certificate. They also have Beech 1900s which they use for Essential Airline service.
FO's have to take pics with the tourists before each flight and they also have to conduct the FA safety briefings before each flight, so if you're not willing to do that, don't apply.
The pay equals about what most mid-level regional airlines pay first year (approx $20,000) because you get paid for your down time during layovers too. Their training takes a long time, however, it took me 4 months to get online.
All together, they're a good company and I really enjoyed it. You are home every single night if you fly the Twin Otter, but it is very hot and very very turbulent during the spring/summer. Many passengers get sick during the summer, but line service usually takes care of it. You will never get better crosswind landing experience, because it's 25-40kts plus gusts every day in the spring time.
Not much IFR time because it's rarely cloudy out there, but when the Wx does get bad, you'll get some good cloud time.
They require a 1 year/$7000 training contract for DHC-6 FO's. It is pro-rated quarterly. I highly recommend Scenic Airlines if you are relatively low time, or if the regional airlines just aren't what you want to do.

Last edited:
Do they hire PIC's?

Yeah, I'd like to find that out too.... whats the gen with PIC hiring?

They only hire street captains occassionally, when needed. Last summer they hired a few. Spring and summer are their busiest seasons, and the best chance to get a direct hire as PIC. They don't like to make a habit of it, but as it's kind of a "starter airline", turnover can be high.
Your best bet would be to apply soon since their busy season is coming up, and indicate that you are interested in a PIC position. Be sure to check back occassionally if you don't hear from them right away.
They have had a lot of turnover in the last few months due to increased regional hiring. If you have prior DHC6 time and/or a lot of multi PIC TT, you might get an offer.
Be prepared to get bounced around and sweat a lot. There are no auto pilots in those airplanes. Your cross wind landing skills WILL be challenged, lol.
They have minor problems just like any company, but it really is a good place to work. You won't get rich, but I definitely recommend the company. It's great if you have a family and don't want to be away from home.

I checked aviationinterviews.com and some said they heard back like a week after they appiled. is that about the norm?

It really depends on how bad they need pilots. I heard back about a month after I applied last year. Most of their hiring is probably already done for this season, but they might run a late class. It really just depends on how much attrition they have.

Latest resources

Back