• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Detroit this weekend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go to the STMP website. You will need reservations both in and out for the game. You may or may not be able to get your airport of choice at this late date. You will be required to be +-15 minutes of your slot, so make sure your passengers know that this is not like a normal corporate flight where they can show up whenever they feel like.

You will need to read and be familiar with all the stuff on the STMP website, and any special restrictions or procedures for the weekend.

Expect massive delays leaving after the game as well, make sure your peeps are briefed about it so you do not look like a boob!! :)

Hotels will be a problem so get one ASAP. Also rental cars are a challenge.

I have flown to two of the superbowls, it is fairly painless if you do the proper planning, try to wing it though and you are setting yourself up for a rough time.

I don't believe there will be any reservations required, only restrictions will be the TFR set up around the stadium.

Check your local listings for updates and times:)

Just go fly into windsor....There are no airspace restrictions and its really not all that far assuming the tunnel/customs runs efficiently.....big assumption.

fokkerjet said:
I don't believe there will be any reservations required, only restrictions will be the TFR set up around the stadium.

Check your local listings for updates and times:)

I stand corrected, just looked it up. Appears that they are not using slots This year.

I apologize for the mistake, I have never seen a superbowl that was not on the STMP program, I guess they figure there are enough airports in the area to handle the flow without the slots.

Anyone needing a hotel, try the Days Inn in Livonia. I just booked 2 rooms (non-smoking, King) for Sunday night. They may still have rooms. Rental cars are going, going, .....
(734) 427-1300

They had a slot system planned but it as dropped like 4 days ago. As for DET, I would say avoid it, not only is it in a bad part of town, it isexpensive as hell for the ramp and landing fees. Go to KYIP Willow Run they are all set for all the arrivals and the FBO's are slightly better than DET. If push comes to shove go to Pontiac and make your clients take a Limo to the game. That way you can chill out at Pentastar.

PTK is significantly closer. YIP is bigger.
PTK expects significant numbers. You might want to check to make sure the FBO you are going to has room for you.

Zero traffic, the distance and travel time from Ford Field to each of the three airports in the metro Detroit area are:

Detroit Metro - 21 miles and approx. 30 mins
Detroit Willow Run - 34 miles and approx 40 mins
Oakland Pontiac - 35 miles and approx 40 mins.

From what I've heard, Metro is pretty much booked up now, Willow Run would probably be my next choice because it's a little easier to travel to, just go west on I-94.
Oakland Pontiac is a little harder to get to, North on I-75 to West M-59.

Lots of hotels around Metro, but they are probably booked by now, Willow Run, probably have to go to Ann Arbor to find rooms (not a bad thing, IMHO) and Pontiac; few choices around airport, need to go to Pontiac or towards Flint since anything SE of the airport is probably already sold out.

Expect delays out of any airport other than Metro since all traffic shares the same inbound and outbound fixes as Metro and YIP and PTK will have to share load. Metro is very well equipped to handle a large rush of aircraft (think Northwest hub and up to 4 runways that will be in use for arrivials and departures while Pontiac only has one and Willow Run two) The biggest headache will be getting from the ramp to the runway, or vice-a-versa....at any airport you choose.

Last edited:
Oh, and don't forget the TFR. The F-16 commander said they will have no qualms about shooting down a civilian aircraft that enters their airspace.

Makes sense to me. We wave at a guy who is 4 miles from the Washington Monument, over flying downtown DC, but we'll shoot down anyone that comes within 10 miles of our football game.

I work for a fractional, right now we have 45 flights going there on Sunday. 2/3 are useing PTK, the rest are using DTW. We already had spots reserved for parking, there are probably no more available.

Latest resources

Back