Detailed Taxi Routes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atl pilot

Effective today, the FAA has mandated (nation-wide)that we (tower controllers) will give y'all detailed taxi routes. For examply: "Taxi to runway 26 left via foxtrot," or "join taxiway Lima taxi to the ramp."
If you come off the runway and say you're joining Lima in your initial call to GC, we can say "taxi to the ramp." They want specific exchanges of taxi routes issuied to everyone (including airport vehicles). Also we can say to a second aicraft, "follow the MD80 to runway 26 left".
In this new order it also specifically mandates that we will get ensure a read back of the runway assignment and any hold short instructions. I know this part isn't new, however you guys and gals can make this whole thing a lot easier if you will just make an effort to read back the required items. I would say the at least 80%+ of the folks I taxi to a runway do not read the runway assignment back, except for those who have a hold short imbedded within the clearance.
I know a lot of this sounds like there is no change, but the requirement now exists for detailed taxi routes, where it didn't before. This does create more workload and frequnecy congestion. And if y'all will help it can go a lot more smoothly than if you don't!
If at some point in the next day or so, I can get a hard copy of the new order, I will try and post excepts so you (our pilots friends) can know what the FAA is mandating of the controller workforce.

Okay...the examples I gave before seemingly are sublime, but we have at least one superviosr at ATL Tower who thinks we need to say every time we have a runway 10 or 28 arrival trying to get to the terminal, "Turn Left/right on SG, join SJ (or SC as appropriate), then hold short of runway 9R (or 27L as appropriate) at Romeo 7." And this only gets you part of the way to your gate. You still have 2 runways to cross and at least 4 more frequency changes before you find your parking spot. Look out folks....this may get interesting!

The controller in GSO was talking about this the other day. Now I can't make up my own way to get to the runway so that will take some of the fun out of the day.

Sometimes less really is more. IMHO, this will cause more problems than it was designed to prevent! But it is the FAA, so no surprise.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back