• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

destruction of unions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A cautionary tale regarding unions particularly in Wisconsin. Many may not like the messenger (Rachel Maddow of MSNBC), but worth listening to as Wisconsin will be the model for the continuing destruction of our jobs nationally that began in earnest in the '80s.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

Regarding the economy it has been said, "as goes California so goes the country." However regarding labor, "as goes Wisconsin so goes the country." In just one year the teachers' union membership fell by 45%, and the second largest union fell by 55%.

Loss of good paying jobs and loss of political clout in a downward spiral.
The market has spoken. We're next. But then, we have been since 1981.

Last edited:
It had everything to do with it, they were broke because of the union's demands, they could not invest in new product like Toyota, a non-union company.

While a union might be a part of the problem, I don't think that the truth is that simple. If you look at Germany, country of a few "premium" car brands, you'll see that the labor groups are heavily unionized.

If you treat your employees right, then there is no need for a union. Just look at the f/a's out of ATL. I find it amazing that such a large employee group is not unionized.

While a union might be a part of the problem, I don't think that the truth is that simple. If you look at Germany, country of a few "premium" car brands, you'll see that the labor groups are heavily unionized.

If you treat your employees right, then there is no need for a union. Just look at the f/a's out of ATL. I find it amazing that such a large employee group is not unionized.
Yes but German unions have to get gov't approval for any new contract and there has to be a productivity gain in any wage increase. and yes the transplant car companies understand they have to threat their employees as well as the union plants to keep the unions out.

Sooo, some of you don't like unions or the so called liberal agenda. Fine, don't ever strike. Some of you think we don't spend too much on the military industrial complex. Fine but I've never seen too many actual veterans who think so.

Sooo, some of you don't like unions or the so called liberal agenda. Fine, don't ever strike. Some of you think we don't spend too much on the military industrial complex. Fine but I've never seen too many actual veterans who think so.
Here is Vet that knows our failure to spend on the military caused the deaths of about 50M people about 70 years ago.

BTW Been there done that, unions are limited in what they can deliver. One thing they can not deliver is job security. I was ALPA at TransAmerican (L-188/DC-8), 1978-79, owner decided he could make more money selling airplanes than flying them, going backward in seniority, airline ended up in 1982 with C-130's in Angola Africa and New Guinea. Folded in 1984, I bailed to the corp. world in 1979. Handwriting was on the wall and there was nothing a union could do to protect my job. Zantop Teamsters (L-188) in 1996, union got in by one vote, first pay raise on contract due 3-26-1997, owner shut the company down on 3-25-1997. Jimmy Zantop figured why risk my $35M, Nothing a union could do to protect my job. But indirectly, enlightened management knows you have to match industry standards to be competitive in retaining and attracting employees. Therefore employees at those non-union companies benefit from the union company work rules without having to pay dues. Unions are in the business of selling dues. If the Teamsters were as enlightened as many of the higher quality managers, they would understand you just lost your job and needed every nickel to feed yourself and not take that $100 out of your last paycheck, which included credit for earned vacation days.

Maru, please grow up. You argue like a teenager. It's either all one way or all the other with you.

The taxpayer pushback came after decades of PUBLIC SECTOR UNION abuses of the negotiating process. We have no problem whatsoever with PRIVATE SECTOR UNIONS. The reason? Because there are checks and balances in the system.

With the public unions, there were no checks and balances. The unions got sympathetic politicians elected, and then "negotiated" excessive compensation. This would be the same thing as pilot unions electing the entire board of an airline.

The best part of this argument is that we don't really have to convince you, because it is clear that even in a liberal state like Wisconsin, sanity and justice won by 6%. That is encouraging.

As I stated before, pilot unions are true labor unions. Public employee unions are cartels MASQUERADING as unions. You can't see the difference? I know. And that is why you lost.

Where is all the outrage over the Mayors of San Diego and San Jose for trying to dismantle the unions previously agreed to pensions? Why are the senators not leaving the state so no one can vote on it? Why aren't the national union leaders organizing protests and sit ins that cause hundreds of thousands in damage to the state houses? Why isn't the President tweeting his support for the California state union workers?

Never mind I forgot it wasn't "the crazy right wing repubs that want to destroy all the unions, dismantle the middle class or kill all your babies." that was trying to balance an out of control budget.

It was the Democrats that did it. Move on nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Think we are seeing class warfare redefined, it is now the public class vs private class.

Yep,, I was ALPA until they sold PATCO out. We went on to see ALPA sell out local after local for the larger companies. But, that was the 80,s and the advent of a generation that didn't remember the 30,s or the great depression. Well, we almost got that knowledge handed to us firsthand and may yet.

Latest resources

Back