Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
Found out recently that all aspects of my vision are fine, except possible depth perception. I got 60 seconds of arc on the test with 3D glasses. Anyone know what the minimum required is?

I have read and been told by a few sources that you need 25 seconds of arc to pass. That is the equivilant of "D" on the depth perception test.

How was it determined you were 60secs of arc? Was it by an opthamologist? If you do not pass the test in the OVT machine then they can give you several other tests to determine if you have good depth perception. The OVT is a hard test and even the offical guide for testing says that a failure does not indicate lack of depth perception.

If you feel you are not going to pass, check out AFI 48-123, A7.11.2 . It deals with depth perception and the required tests they should perform if you fail to determine eye motility and alignment disorders (tropias, not phorias). It is a full workup by an opthamologist. That information will be used to determine if you will be eligible for a waiver, though I understand that if any tropias are found it is highly unlikely one will be granted.

I have heard a lot of good outcomes from people that have had problems or have worried about the depth tests. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back