• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Departure Conflict at Midway; DAL SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, serious subject here, and thank God no one was hurt, but that was funny.

Bubba

With SWA growing to 600+ airplanes, UAL, AAL and DL in the same league, I have always wondered why the FAA has not adapted Europe's system to change the call sign to a unique one, i.e. not necessarily being the flight number. If one flight would have had SWA382U and the other DAL138T a lot of holes would have been removed from the Swiss cheese accident model.

Those were two airplanes from different airlines. Can you imagine two aircraft from the same airline with similar call signs?

Last edited:
With regard to the Delta flight, I would not be surprised if the Captain was working the radios during the takeoff. Meaning, he was more likely to be unaware of the similar SWA callsign out there on ground frequency. Certainly not an excuse, but may have been contributory.

With regard to the Delta flight, I would not be surprised if the Captain was working the radios during the takeoff. Meaning, he was more likely to be unaware of the similar SWA callsign out there on ground frequency. Certainly not an excuse, but may have been contributory.

Why would he captain me any more or less aware of the similar call sign than the FO?

Wait for the report before speculate

Why would he captain me any more or less aware of the similar call sign than the FO?

Well, honestly, because DAL procedures have the Captains extremely task saturated IMO. From the time the flaps drop and we commence taxi, until reaching the end of the runway we'll run a minimum two checklists and a couple partial heads-down verification processes. It's actually kind of nuts. Further, if a runway change takes place, or the taxi was commenced single engine, you've added even more. So, between taxiing the aircraft, responding to checklists, and then having to go "in and out", the Captain can easily miss something. I've seen it many times. Compared to procedures at my previous airline taxi out is a bit of a circus.

Latest resources

Back