Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NoPockets

Gents,

A question was asked by one of our Captain's regarding correct ATC procedures. I thought I'd run this one by the experts (you!) for reference and opinion. Here's the event....

757-300 given takeoff clearance for runway 8L at PHNL. Immediately after takeoff clearance given, and during the takeoff roll, tower issues clearances to multiple aircraft to cross 8L (night VMC). The Captain almost rejected takeoff due to the possible crossing hazard when in fact, the tower controller had issued clearances to aircraft located behind the departing aircraft's takeoff roll.

Is this allowed? Common? Safe?

Thank you again for the assistance!

Yeah its normal. I understand the fear factor involved however, even if the aircraft getting the crossing was still slightly ahead of the departing aircraft the FAA allows us to "anticipate seperation" and get the ball rolling. For instance, today a CRJ just touching down on 10 at ORD was about 500 feet prior to K, a UAL747 was issued crossing instructions to cross 10 at T for 32L full length, the CRJ was off at M6 and over to ground before the 747's nose even entered the runway it was crossing. Planes take time to move and we anticipate that. IF we waited for intersections to be clear before we speak, then no one would ever get across.

I guess I should actually read what I wrote. I'd like to correct and error in my previous reply above. The aircraft was 100 ft prior to the intersection of K, not 500.

Lrjtcaptain...

Thank you! I appreciate your assistance! And also, I appreciate what you do out there for all of us.

Respectfully,

NoPockets

Latest resources

Back