Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Departing VFR, Do you have to call clearence?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

duece123

Just posted this in the FAR's. Thought I could get it answered here.

I know you have to when you are departing class B, but what about C and D. Can a call to ground "VFR to the ___" take the place?

Class C - First off, check for a published Clearance Delivery frequency. Being VFR, I would check my AFD, should be published there. Listen to ATIS...sometimes they will spell out what they want VFR aircraft to do. i.e. "all IFR and VFR departures contact clearance delivery on xxx.x" or "all departing aircraft contact ground/tower on xxx.x for clearance and taxi" It all depends on how busy they are at the time. Just remember, when you are VFR, sometimes it takes a few minutes to get you in the system.

Class D - From my experience, most Class D airports use ground control for VFR and IFR departures (lets face it, there are some out there that only use the tower freq!). The only time I have really seen a published Clearance Delivery frequency associated with Class D were Class D airports that were underlying Class B or C airports and the frequency was used only when the tower was closed.

Can a call to ground "VFR to the ___" take the place?

I was always taught that when dealing specifically with clearance delivery, you should always try to give a destination or state intentions (rather than just VFR to the ___) and give them an altitude. If you are departing for flight training, just say so..."Cessna xxx...VFR to the east at or below xxxx...manouvering in the vicinity of..."

Hope this helps.

If it is required it will be stated on ATIS. However if you want flight following it would be a good idea to give clearance a call if one is available.

As a controller and a pilot, if they have a Clearance frequency, call it. They'll give you a squawk prior to taxiing, just let em know if you'll "Terminate at the boundary" or "request flight following".

Keep the blue side up and green between!

What about when you can reach Center on the ground from an uncontrolled field and you pick up an IFR clearance. They clear you for "standard RWY 21 dep" but there is no published departure. What are they expecting? Just departing as you would VFR?

Kfll

I routinely fly out of Fort Lauderdale International (KFLL) in a CE 172, (did so even as a low time student!!!) and they require a call to Clearance Delivery for a VFR departure. They sometimes ask if I would like flight following, some times they do not ask. I honesty have never requested it, since I usually was just hopping over to Opa Locka to practice, that is in my student days. They have never given me a squawk code for departure, but upon contacting tower when returning, they have always given me a discrete squawk code. As others have said, consult the A/FD or listen to the ATIS, which should instruct you as to what to do.

Depends on airport. The information will be on the ATIS. Here at Teterboro all VFR and required to call CD prior to taxi for a squak.

If I go VFR I make sure to state the type aircraft that I am operating. In my experience that's just as important as where you're going and what you're doing. If you're in a 172, they might give you a quick turnout to get out of the way of a jet behind you or whatever those ATC guys do in their bunkers and towers.

Latest resources

Back