• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Departing IFR in VMC Conditions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great Lakes has done VFR flight into and out of ORD as well. Last time I checked, VFR was explicitly allowed at Great Lakes per the OpsSpecs. Any Lakers want to confirm this for me?

Yeah, Lakes is approved for VFR Departure, en route, and arrival. The VFR arrivals and departurres being more common.

It says right in the ops specs, we can fly VFR all we want under scheduled 121 flights. Of course the weather has to be good enough to be dispatched. Rarely does Lakes ever conduct VFR enroute.

Flydog would be totally wrong in this case about erasing VFR from professional flying. You better look at your company's ops specs and see what you are allowed to do before you make a remark that is wrong. VFR can be conducted safely and efficiently if the weather is good and the flight crew knows what to do.

C-ya.

Part 121 VFR ops

This may be ancient history, but I'll throw it in anyway.

Mesa operated VFR a lot. For example, in VMC out of Farmington to Phoenix, it didn't file. Very simple route. Just turn to 221, always. I am 99.999% certain that Mesa's Caravans operated VFR all the time from Prescott to Phoenix.

Your absolutely right about that. Turboprops/recips can get away with a whole lot more than the big boys.

Latest resources

Back