Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JPB

Out of EWR - International
My manual and CO print out both agree on International Jumpseat but the gate agent didn't give me a chance and they all seemed to agree. (went to different gates). Finally talked to a 76 captain that put me through the CP office (more than I was asking for). The CP confirmed the agreement. When I returned to the gate agent, she called me a liar and refused to look at the CO computer print out of the agreement I presented her.
I found out that a new policy with CO pilot doesn't allow them to jumpseat in the cockpit anymore on international flights. This change had caused a (expensive)misunderstanding from the gate agents that extended that to ALL jumseats.
Any inputs or revisions to that?
Thanks

Dude:

I cannot make sense out of what you wrote. You sound a little unglued.....

You may want to clarify your writing if there's any hope of getting an answer.

JPB said:
My manual and CO print out both agree on International Jumpseat but the gate agent didn't give me a chance and they all seemed to agree. (went to different gates). Finally talked to a 76 captain that put me through the CP office (more than I was asking for). The CP confirmed the agreement. When I returned to the gate agent, she called me a liar and refused to look at the CO computer print out of the agreement I presented her.
I found out that a new policy with CO pilot doesn't allow them to jumpseat in the cockpit anymore on international flights. This change had caused a (expensive)misunderstanding from the gate agents that extended that to ALL jumseats.
Thanks
CO gate agents are among the worst out there. Gotta like that Puerto Rican accent and "power hungry" attitude... Next time, go tell them to F-off.... Yes, I have bad experiences with them too.

Just wondering if?

Over the years of J/S ing the one consistent problem has been dealing with the gate agents. They seem to take the stance of” these are my seats and I will allow who I want on them based on my interpretation of the agreements”.

I find myself and others getting to the gate Early to meet the crews and ask them first before the gate agents have a chance to shoot us down. I see very little consistency between agents, the crews however seem to have a better handle on the current recip agreements. I hate to feel like I am groveling to get to work or home in front of a cround of people and this seems to be the M.O. we must take to gain any sympathy from the gate agents....just bad situation.

Just as a suggestion to think about, and I regress to acknowledge that the arriving crews get busy real fastto get the flight ready to go, but if you could just hear me out here, maybe I am all wet, but this is my suggestion.

There are 2 situations where the Captain or the F/O could address the “who is and who is not coming” on the flight and could then tell the gate agent who that person or persons are. 1) When the crew arrives to pick up the Dispatch release while at the podium. 2) The pilot that does the aircraft walk around could come back to the gate area and spend a few minutes with the folks trying to J/S and with the gate agent to organize the effort.

I realized the actual pax loads and priority listing status will dictate who ultimately gets on in the back or the cockpit, but if the gate agent already has the crews blessing for those people, then it might go smoother for all of us. I know this would take lots of time to change this process, the thinking of management; also the gate agents will take exception to this change as well. But these agreements are something the PILOTS have worked hard for between carriers and are part of there contracts, I appreciate the consideration we get as dispatchers.
As a airline dispatcher, I'm always very appreciative of getting a ride to work or home, I am very thankful to many crews from allot of airlines. I always thank them and give them my work number to call me if they are having trouble getting somewhere. If I can I will get them listed on our release or in the system.

I would only ask the pilots to please not forget us down here on terra firma, the dispatchers. We are truly the red-headed step children of the jumpseating world. We are very small in number and most gate agent’s don’t even know what a flight dispatcher is and why we would have access to a J/S...SO please don’t forget to think about us when you talk about changes or additions to agreements.

I know I speak for hundreds of dispatchers that go through Hell every week just trying to get home or to work.

Thanks for all the rides!

CO gate agents are among the worst out there.
Must be EWR. I jumpseated exclusively on CAL for a year and a half and never had any trouble with gate agents in MCO, TPA, CLE or IAH. I have heard horror stories about EWR though.

I do think CAL is a little quirky with their jumpseat rules hower. For instance, I fly for CommutAir, a Continental Connection carrier, I have a Continental issued ID, and my company flies internationally (albiet Canada), and we can't jumpseat internationally on CAL. However, Southwest, a non-affiliated, domestic only, competitor, can. It is also officially against policy to allow any jumpseaters in first class. Actually had a captain get in trouble once for arranging a first class seat for me - he told me about it a few weeks later when I jumpseated with him again.

All that being said, all of the crews I have jumpseated with have been great.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I don't know what airline you are with but if you have a jumpseat coordinator, I would suggest emailing him and asking him to get in touch with CAL's JS coordinator. They may be able to resolve the problem together.

-minrest

JPB said:
Thanks
International jumpseats on CAL have been restricted due to TSA reporting requirements. I don't see how you were not told that by either the Captain or the Chief Pilot.

PM me the details and your airline and I'll give you the e-mail address of our JS coordinator. Or, you can go through your JS coordinator.

As I said, we have international agreement and the TSA restriction applies to cockpit riders not cabin. This was confirmed by the CP in EWR and a gate agent printing out the agreement section "Other Airlines" (other than CO).
The main problem is a communication breakdown or misinterpretation of the rules by differents parties.
Wish it got fixed soon.

JPB said:
As I said, we have international agreement and the TSA restriction applies to cockpit riders not cabin. This was confirmed by the CP in EWR and a gate agent printing out the agreement section "Other Airlines" (other than CO).
The main problem is a communication breakdown or misinterpretation of the rules by differents parties.
Wish it got fixed soon.
I was told today that the international jumpseat restriction will be fixed on or around Nov. 1st.

Latest resources

Back