• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freebrd

Motley Fool
Delta's Delusion
Friday October 8, 10:47 am ET
By Rich Smith

A few months back, I took America's leading automaker, General Motors, to task for a marketing ploy of paying people $500 to not buy its cars. That was truly dumb. But Delta's latest announcement threatens to knock GM out of the winner's circle for corporate bonehead of the year.

To summarize, Delta, which back in July reported losing two and a half times its own market cap in a single fiscal quarter, has decided that its real problem is its image. To repair its image, Delta interviewed several advertising consultants, including Omnicom's BBDO and WPP Group's Ogilvy & Mather and J. Walter Thomson, to see who could best revive Delta's brand. In the end, Delta settled upon Ogilvy.

In its press release announcing the new partnership, Delta described its decision to retain Ogilvy as "part of a comprehensive 360-degree plan set in motion earlier this year to reinvent itself while sustaining growth." Um, Delta? It's kind of worrisome to have to explain this to a company that flies airplanes for a living, but when you turn yourself around 360 degrees, you wind up pointing in exactly the same direction as before.

And let's review, for just a second, where Delta has been pointing lately:

It has more than $20 billion in long-term debt and is shelling out about $750 million a year in interest payments. Delta needs to convince its pilots to ante up $1 billion in wage concessions, and its other employees another $1 billion, in order to stay in business (and even that may not be enough). Meanwhile, its precarious financial position, with even its CEO voicing the "B"-word publicly, has its pilots sufficiently frightened that more of them than Delta had anticipated are retiring and taking lump sum pension payments (draining the company's pension fund ahead of schedule). These are real problems, and money spent on painting a pretty picture for the air-traveling public isn't going to solve a one of them. Wake up, Delta. If you want to fix your business, then fix your business, and quit fussing over your image. Quit handing out fat corporate paychecks to management. Stop caving in to union demands for raises against your (and the employees' own) better judgment. And when all else fails, charge your customers what it costs to provide them your services. If they won't pay up -- fine. Let them fly American or Continental or whoever else is willing to sell them a $300 ticket for $99. That kind of business you don't need. And guess what? Neither do your shareholders.

Caving on Union demands for raises? What?(it's called a contract) We have offered them a 23% pay cut for STARTERS. I am sure it will go higher, but what "union" is he talking about? I thought we only had one? But, this guy is speaking the truth about getting this airline back on track. And, in one way the advertising thing is something we have always LACKED. They are a little late though. A lot of what the "Motley Fool" states is rubbish----and no real value--like the Business section of the USAtoday.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I noticed one distortion in Motley Fools assessment. He said that Delta was looking to turn itself around 360 degrees, and that would wind up pointing right where it had been before. That is NOT what the statement was. It was distorted from the statement that a 360 degree assessment would be made.

Ever stand in the center of a circle? I think what was being implied was that they would look at all directions of the compass for ways to improve. That's a far cry from stating they're going to turn themselves around 360 degrees.

I know, an anal technicality

Wasn't it Delta that did an "unintentional" 360 on some track over the Atlantic a few years back? The way I heard it, they tried to cover their mistake but ended up behind the guy that was suppose to be following them.

Who knows....could just be one of those classic half-true stories.

Rudderdog,

Yes, Delta did screw up one of their Atlantic crossings. They got in a lot of hot water with the feds on their international procedures when the FAA investigated it. They then as a result of the FAA action had to contract TWA to teach those good ole' boys how to do a crossing correctly.

The going joke around the TWA training center was that Delta just put the "E" in the mag compass ( which they thought stood for Europe) and headed out over the ocean.

P.S. Hi George.

Oh My God!

BigMotorToter said:
Rudderdog,

Yes, Delta did screw up one of their Atlantic crossings. They got in a lot of hot water with the feds on their international procedures when the FAA investigated it. They then as a result of the FAA action had to contract TWA to teach those good ole' boys how to do a crossing correctly.

The going joke around the TWA training center was that Delta just put the "E" in the mag compass ( which they thought stood for Europe) and headed out over the ocean.

P.S. Hi George.
HOLY SHI.T THAT'S FUNNY!!

Good observation, for a Jarhead!

jarhead said:
I noticed one distortion in Motley Fools assessment. He said that Delta was looking to turn itself around 360 degrees, and that would wind up pointing right where it had been before. That is NOT what the statement was. It was distorted from the statement that a 360 degree assessment would be made.

Ever stand in the center of a circle? I think what was being implied was that they would look at all directions of the compass for ways to improve. That's a far cry from stating they're going to turn themselves around 360 degrees.

I know, an anal technicality
I'm impressed! It looks like that basic infantry training is paying off. But can you tell us how many beads on your dog-tag chain it takes to make a mile on you field map?!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back