Delta training capacity?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyby1206

I was curious how the size of the training facility and number on instructors has changed since the NWA merger. Years ago the industry could have NWA and DAL separately cranking out hundreds of newhires a year, but now that they are combined into 1 house, will they be able to handle increased duties of many more fleet types and massive retirements (creating trickle down training events and newhires coming through the door) all focused on one operation?

Will the new DAL be able to match training capacity of old-DAL plus old-NWA?

Last edited:
This is a really good question, and could be posed to every Legacy/Major out there. When you guys start losing 700-800 per year around 2020, are you going to be able to handle that kind of hiring?

Hell, if AA and US merge, they have a year around 2020, (can't remember which one) where they lose over 1,000. How are ya'll going to handle that? New hires=bids=movement=lots of different training events, not just new hires. Does any management have the foresight to see this coming and to do anything about it?

I'm no expert....but I know they moved all the NWA sims down from Minneapolis and that slowed down some training.

I know that our block hours are way down and there haven't been any real large bids out which required a lot of training. They didn't really backfill the early outs.

Not sure if any of that had to do with training capacity.

DL has rented out sims in the past to make up for lack of sims and huge training at the same time. I have done 767 recurrent in DEN and MIA. They will rent other sims if needed. The 717 sims are at Flight Safety across the field in ATL and also in SEA and LGB I believe.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hell, if AA and US merge, they have a year around 2020, (can't remember which one) where they lose over 1,000. How are ya'll going to handle that?

No worries. Senior baby boomers will take care of it by voting any remaining scope away in return for a 0.000000000001% pay increase thus solving the problem for management.

No worries. Senior baby boomers will take care of it by voting any remaining scope away in return for a 0.000000000001% pay increase thus solving the problem for management.

I laughed! Then I cried...

This is a really good question, and could be posed to every Legacy/Major out there. When you guys start losing 700-800 per year around 2020, are you going to be able to handle that kind of hiring?

Hell, if AA and US merge, they have a year around 2020, (can't remember which one) where they lose over 1,000. How are ya'll going to handle that? New hires=bids=movement=lots of different training events, not just new hires. Does any management have the foresight to see this coming and to do anything about it?

Yes they do, it's called another merger.
Stagnation all around! YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

717 sims- 2 in ATL, 1 in Seattle, 1 in Australia, and 1 in Europe somewhere for Blue1, formerly in ATL.

Wouldnt surprise me. Then they'll start begging for age 70.

2nd most pathetic generation ever, right behind my own.

Latest resources

Back