Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Traderd

Don't tell us how to run our airline;

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tops...o-run-our-airline/ar-BBablgg?ocid=mailsignout

Fresh from hounding JetBlue CEO Dave Barger out of a job because the carrier provided too many luxuries to its coach-fare passengers, some Wall Street analysts have turned their sights on Delta .

Delta's transgression, they say, is adding too much capacity at a time when "capacity discipline," strongly encouraged by Wall Street, has been a key factor in the airline industry's transformation into a more profitable, less cyclical, investment-worthy business.

"When you add capacity, particularly into (other airline) hubs, it diminishes shareholder confidence, it suggests a lack of discipline, and in my opinion, it jeopardizes the likelihood of earning a multiple closer to that of high-quality industrial transport," he said. "So I know it may be difficult to quantify, but do you ever stop before you announce a route and just ask, or maybe run it past others: What if this destroys tens of millions of dollars of shareholder value by robbing me of a better earnings multiple?"

In response, Anderson declared, "I think you are in an area that is in some respects not appropriate for an earnings call. But I will just say this: Look at our results. I don't think there is a more disciplined approach to the deployment of capital in this industry anywhere in the world. And we will continue to make the right unilateral decisions. And we appreciate that you have a different opinion."

I can say that we have been flat over the ocean since 2008.....we codeshare and JV all that flying out and now its time to bring it back on property.

The growth is in the domestic market to feed the widebodies. It's ok for a JB, Spirit or Southwest to launch routes all over the map (great news for them) but when we do it...it's wrong.

Third best quarter profit ever....paying debt down huge, 15 percent profit sharing, one of the largest dividend payouts in the industry, paying cash for planes and these empty suits are not happy?

Good on you RA for letting them have it. Happy to have him at the helm.

Another analyst stated that there was a domestic capacity increase at DL (something taboo for Wall St these days), but it was an upguage in equipment, not extra flights necessarily. It's called 717s taking back DCI flights.

Here is part of the article written by Ted Reed for The Street:

"Some other analysts applauded Delta's results. Imperial Capital's Bob McAdoo said Delta "will continue to operate at the top end of the peer group and is likely to report record 4Q14 and even stronger 2015 results." He said 2% capacity growth results largely from using bigger aircraft on regional routes. He maintains an outperform on Delta and a $55 price target.

CRT Capital analyst Mike Derchin raised his target price to $51 and his fourth-quarter estimate to $1.20 and said Delta shares are at "a compelling entry point." Gimme Credit bond analyst Vicki Bryan said, "We found plenty to like in Delta Air Lines' third-quarter results, adding "Delta has been sprinting ahead of most competitors for the past three years -- revenue and profit growth are outpacing industry trends."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Happy for you guys, and also enjoying how ridiculous this makes team smisek at UAL look. Ra=knows his sh1t!!

Happy for you guys, and also enjoying how ridiculous this makes team smisek at UAL look. Ra=knows his sh1t!!

I hope they are happy. They have a good part of the original "brain trust" from the late 90's CAL. And obviously the good part.

Pretty funny stuff, an anal-ist from Wall Street calling out RA on an internal airline business decision, RA's track record speaks for itself. That guy must have loved Leo Mullins who wanted to "cut capacity to profitability"

Pretty funny stuff, an anal-ist from Wall Street calling out RA on an internal airline business decision, RA's track record speaks for itself. That guy must have loved Leo Mullins who wanted to "cut capacity to profitability"

"Just imagine how much money Delta will make if they don't fly anybody at all!"

No wonder there was a "frowny widget" in use during the those years.

"Just imagine how much money Delta will make if they don't fly anybody at all!"

No wonder there was a "frowny widget" in use during the those years.

I think Leo Mullins burned thru 2 billion dollars in 3 years. Bean counters aren't always the best choices to run an airline.

Latest resources

Back